Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need filter advice

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Need filter advice

Ok, My cousin bought 6 tiger cichlids 3 male and 3 female I believe. And after a few days we notice some changes to the tank water. Its the filter. The filter can't do the job on the 50 gallon tank. Does anyone here have a 50 gallon tank and what filter you use? And also can Cichlids and algea eater in one tank? The Cichlids won;t eat them right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what you mean by Tiger Cichlids.......Tiger Oscars, convicts? What kind of algae eater (pleco?). Cichlids are big, hefty fish that can eat a lot, and therefore produce a lot of waste. A normal mechanical filter can handle waste only to a point. What is better is not to overfeed and do frequent, al least weekly water changes.............10-50% of the water, using a siphon that sucks all of the gunk out of the bottom gravel. Water changes will do far more to keeping your fish healthy and your tank clear than any power filter.
    Believe it or not, I have a crowded 10 gallon of guppies in my office and a mixed 29 gallon tank at home....both with no filter....only an airstone for circulation. Fish are healthy and reproducing and the water is clear. I also have a 75 gallon with a large Oscar, ever breeding convict cichlids, angels and a few others. I have a small power filter, more for water circulation. Also clear, and the fish are great and have been together for a long time (The angels may seem a bad choice, but they are not bothered by the others).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usefull to know how much plants if any you got in the tank.
    my growlist: http://terraforums.com/forums/showth...306#post976306
    My pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/taliesin-ds/

<Exo> @Talie......You are the lord of all things blah....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cichlids, especially the large south american ones produce lots and lots of waste. it'll be much better if you followed the 1.25x or 2x rule with these huge fish. by that i mean, if you have a 50 gallon, it will be much better for you to use a 75 gallon or 100 gallon filtration unit.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be quite honest, if what you have are Tiger Oscars you are going to have problems really soon, since normally people would recommend at least 50 - 75 gallons PER FISH... so if you have 6 in a 50G you will more than likely soon end up with aggravation issues as they get older...

As for filtration, i would strongly suggest to aim for no less than 4X turnover, so if your running a 50Gallon tank, you want 200G+ turnover every our... i personally have a 200G tank and am running it at 4X turnover, and still want more... since as most people will tell you, you can NEVER have too much filtration...

In fact, i know a lot of people who do 12X turnover on larger tanks which are overstocked to help keep Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia levels as low as possible...

Lastly, not to sound like a smart ***, but just cause you water is crystal clear doesn't always mean your water is fine, if your really serious about it, get a liquid test kit by API that tests those 3 parameters i mentioned above as well as PH... since these are all things that could come in very handy if you ever find yourself with sick fish in the future...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Writer View Post
    To be quite honest, if what you have are Tiger Oscars you are going to have problems really soon, since normally people would recommend at least 50 - 75 gallons PER FISH... so if you have 6 in a 50G you will more than likely soon end up with aggravation issues as they get older...

As for filtration, i would strongly suggest to aim for no less than 4X turnover, so if your running a 50Gallon tank, you want 200G+ turnover every our... i personally have a 200G tank and am running it at 4X turnover, and still want more... since as most people will tell you, you can NEVER have too much filtration...

In fact, i know a lot of people who do 12X turnover on larger tanks which are overstocked to help keep Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia levels as low as possible...

Lastly, not to sound like a smart ***, but just cause you water is crystal clear doesn't always mean your water is fine, if your really serious about it, get a liquid test kit by API that tests those 3 parameters i mentioned above as well as PH... since these are all things that could come in very handy if you ever find yourself with sick fish in the future...
    Yep.... this. I won't go for anything less than 5x turnover in my tanks, and none of my fish are anywhere near as messy as any cichlid. If they are tiger oscars, you'll soon find your 50 gallon woefully inadequate to keep them healthy and happy. A friend of mine had two in a 55... that only lasted a few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Fish=Big Waste=Big Filter.
    It also sounds like you need to cut back on the fish, or up the tank size, big time. Never settle for "minimum" tank size.
    The Marineland C-Series is hands down, the ultimate filter. Power and silence all in one.

To help you out, check out petmountain.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reccomend an Eheim personally. An Eheim classic 2217 is about 200 gph, can house a lot of media (you'll need that bio and mechanical media for large, messy fish) and bypass is low to nonexistent, unlike with other filters.

The eheims tend to move lower GPH rates, but that's in order to move water more slowly through the media. They really hold an almost silly amount of media. I'm running a 2215 on my aquarium and love it.

That all said, you should still get rid of the fish
    Last edited by Clint; 07-17-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast