What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

betta with eye cloud?

I have a white halfmoon tail male betta splendens and was wondering if it had eye cloud. :-(

( NOTE: I house the betta in a ten gallon tank. I just put him in a small plastic container for the purpose of taking a good picture.)

( click the picture to make it bigger )

The white film is over both eyes. I am really new to owning and keeping a tropical fresh water aquarium so I am just getting the hang of recognizing betta and other tropical fish type diseases.

If your wondering, I did a near 90 percent water change and changed the filter out when I saw that it had this condition. I am now wondering what it is and how to fix it.

Last edited:
Yeah that looks like eye cloud to me. Not quite sure how to treat it, but I'm sure there are some people here that might. Betta (and any animal for that matter) tend to be in pretty harsh conditions at most pet stores.

its hard to say, it is probably eye cloud, when we had fish that would get this or other bacterial problems in our marine bio lab, we ended up doing really extensive cleaning and treated the infected tank with a some form of anti-bacterial medicine, i cant remember the exact brand...
your best bet is to do alot of research as quickly as possible before he becomes permanently blind....
you should probably start by giving him clean water, and changing it frequently (in small amounts) to prevent the build up of bacteria, this should atleast help...
find some of the antibacterial medicines at a fish shop, and see if you can find some specifically meant to cure eye cloud..

I know it's ugly and annoying, but I find the 500mg Tetracycline to be the best bacterial infection remedy for fish. It's also great for acne!

It's also great for acne!

:-)) I would think the chemicals may burn me... but then again, safe for fish, so hopefully safe for humans!

I always wanted a betta. I knew that there were plenty of different colors, and the male and female, but different types? Now I just want one more! to bad I can't have fish... :-( (if you're wondering why I can't have fish, just look under my username)

I always wanted a betta. I knew that there were plenty of different colors, and the male and female, but different types? Now I just want one more! to bad I can't have fish... :-( (if you're wondering why I can't have fish, just look under my username)

I know what you mean, the lease for my daughter's apartment states a $25.00 monthly fee for pets, and that INCLUDES a betta, she tried.

I can only have hermit crabs. And after my first experience, I don't want them any more...

:0o: Do I want to know what happened to your hermit crabs, Chomp?

In regards to my betta, I got some Melafix from Petco and used it as directed ( a teaspoon into the water ). Hopefully it will clear up the problem and the poor betta will be able to see again. He is bumping into things all over the tank. I feel sorry for him.

Betta (and any animal for that matter) tend to be in pretty harsh conditions at most pet stores.

She got it from an experienced betta breeder along with a mustard female and something else. I hope 'Finlay' survives.

Back