Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Triops Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BurntSnow View Post
    Good luck. Personally, I think these Triops are a scam, and it's rare for even one to hatch. It's hard for them to stay alive. Everything is just hard to do.
    same is often said about some CP's.........wasnt that long ago that most the Orchidioides section Utrics were considered near impossible to keep in collections, same with Cephs and alot of Neps......if no one tries than it is impossible....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if the cancriformis needs a cold diapause period? They are a northern European species.

I haven't done mine yet so maybe a month or two in the 40-45*F fridge before "sowing" is worth a try. then when I hatch them I can do it outside in a tank of cool water in autumn. hmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didnt notice any air bubbles used to incubate the eggs. what you should have done was place the eggs in a test tube filled with dH2O with an airstone. once when the eggs hatch, you can put them into the larger tank.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years ago i collected some from the wild. needed specimens for my natural history prof. They apparently are on all of the major Hawaiian Islands. I kept a few in the lab they grew up and died. Later i dried up the tank for a few months and then added water. The eggs laid by the few that i started with hatched out. These guys might have some interesting dormancy mechanisms, based on the locations that they are seen in Hawaii. Years of dormancy isn't unusual. Might need some things to break dormancy. Similar things are seen with daphnia/moina eggs. Some need cold (daphnia) and others seem to need long dry periods (Moina). Might not be too odd. Also, RO/distilled water or rain water might be doing things to help the eggs hatch. Might be related to osmotic pressure.

I'm waiting for the next huge winter storm on the south west side of Maui to go look at the most logical place for them. With 7-10 years of drought, makes one wonder how they survive long dry periods.....

MTF

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    didnt notice any air bubbles used to incubate the eggs. what you should have done was place the eggs in a test tube filled with dH2O with an airstone. once when the eggs hatch, you can put them into the larger tank.
    What I've read on the internet and the instructions I was given does not say anything about running an airstone.
    My hatching tank is a small, less then 1/2 gallon tank.

Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    Years ago i collected some from the wild. needed specimens for my natural history prof. They apparently are on all of the major Hawaiian Islands. I kept a few in the lab they grew up and died. Later i dried up the tank for a few months and then added water. The eggs laid by the few that i started with hatched out. These guys might have some interesting dormancy mechanisms, based on the locations that they are seen in Hawaii. Years of dormancy isn't unusual. Might need some things to break dormancy. Similar things are seen with daphnia/moina eggs. Some need cold (daphnia) and others seem to need long dry periods (Moina). Might not be too odd. Also, RO/distilled water or rain water might be doing things to help the eggs hatch. Might be related to osmotic pressure.

I'm waiting for the next huge winter storm on the south west side of Maui to go look at the most logical place for them. With 7-10 years of drought, makes one wonder how they survive long dry periods.....

MTF
    I'm using distilled water. I have thought about trying rainwater that I collect for my plants...
    Like you and swords mention, maybe a cold period is needed to get them to hatch.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did give up on the Triops cancriformis yesterday (7/29/10). The seller is sending me another packet to try.

Cleaned the tank out of the old sand and decided, with help from the seller, to try Triops Austrailensis 'Green'. I also have Triops Granarius. Since I only have the one tank for the adults, it's try one at a time.

So 7/29/10 I place the sand with the eggs of Triops Austrailensis 'Green' into my container. Today (7/30/10) I found this.

Yep, Triops. The Triops Austrailensis 'Green' hatched in less then 24 hours. I estimate about 15-20 have hatched.

I'll start to feed them on Monday, right now they will feed on microscopic partilces in the water. Hopefully I can get some to grow to adulthood.

I'll post pics of my progress.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Elgecko! Keep us posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Possum! I gotta get my act together and try my green Aussies or the cancriformis!
    I had also bought some of those "Crazy Clam" primitive shrimps or whatever they are that look like a clam and zip around by flapping their shells.

Did the seller say if the cancriformis should get a cold spell or an extra long dry period or anything to help spur hatching?

Anyone know if you can keep the older Triops safely with Bettas? Been looking at the fancy bettas they have available. It would be nice to kill two paludarium ideas with one stone. The crowntails were $50 on Aquabid when I was getting out of fish in the late 90s now they're $5! LOL

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast