Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Triops Tank

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miracle grow in a soda bottle with water, place in the sun.

I noticed some of the Crazy Clams hatched today.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here's an update.

I think all the Crazy Clams that hatched have all died. I have not notice any tiny swimming critters in the tank for 2 days now.
    I was using mainly powdered spirulina. I sprinkled a small amount of powdered spirulina over the water surface and added small amount of dissolved yeast in the tank every other day or so. I did not use enough yeast to make the water slightly cloudy. I could still see the powdered spirulina on the water surface. I think the clams could not find / eat powdered spirulina when they first hatch and starved to death.
    If I try them again I will use yeast and green water. Then move to powdered spirulina when they are larger.

As for the Triops. I have counted 22. They range from 1/4" of an inch to about 1/2". I few more days in the small plastic tank before I move them to the 10 gallon tank.
    Here are a few pics. The water is a little hazy and a film on top of the water makes pictures tough.

Swimming upside down at the surface of the water.

I should be able to get better pics once I get them into the 10 gallon filtered tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    8/10/10 - I moved 6 Triops from the hatching tank to the 10 gallon to see how they do.
    8/11/10 - All 6 Triops are still alive. Moved remain Triops to 10 gallon tank.
    8/12/10 - All 22 Triops alive and counted for. Enjoying their large tank.

The size of the Triops are 3/8" to 1/2" long.

I'm using a Duetto 50 Submersible Filter with the water flow turned just about to the lowest setting. It's working perfectly with the Triops.
    I was afraid it might have to much suction and trap the Triops against the intake. No problem. The Triops have crawled over the intake opens and swam off with no problems.

They are very active critters. Swimming all over the tank, digging in the sand, crawling over the plants. Oh, as for that, I was getting some algae growth on the Cryptocoryne wendtii plant. All gone after I placed the Triops in the tank.
    The funniest time is at feeding. I'm using small pellet food. Some of the Triops grab more then 1 pellet, swim on their backs while eating one of the pellets and holding onto the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, like cute little prehistoric otters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday 8/15/10 I noticed several Triops on their backs dead. I grabbed all my water testing equipment to see what was going on. I had cycled the tank for some time before moving the Triops to the tank, but with extra bio-load maybe I had an ammonia spike. I checked the ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite and everything was in perfect levels.
    After watching the Triops for a while I could see several in distress. What I saw was the Triops swimming and trying to shed by bending their body in half and not being able to shed. This causes the Triops to die.
    I started with 22. After today with seeing 4 more on their backs I have 3 left.
    Not sure why they are having issues with shedding. Tonight I bought some Kent Marine Iodine which is used to help invertebrates shed. Hopefully this will help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh noes! I hope it helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iodine i believe is only beneficial to arthropods in saltwater tanks, never freshwater. i dont use any iodine supplementation for my shrimp. but i dont know about your case...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never kept triops, so here's a shot in the dark: Crustaceans are very sensitive to copper. Have you ever used the tank as a recovery sump treated with copper based medicines such as CuSo4? If so, minute trace amounts left in the glass and medium maybe enough to cause their demise.

Have you tested for copper?
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast