Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Triops Tank

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triops Tank

Thanks to swords my Triops cancriformis eggs came today in the mail.

This is the 10 gallon tank I will place them into once they get some size to them.

I'll start them after I get back from my Pine Barrens trip next weekend.

I always thought they were cool critters since they reminded me of my favorite fossil; Trilobites.
    Since I have no pictures of the Triops yet; here are some Trilobite fossils.

Bought this one.

Unknown - Devonian Period - collected myself

Cryptolithus pieces - Ordovician period - collected myself

Cryptolithus complete specimen - Ordovician period - collected myself

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like trilobites, check out the genus Serolis. They require very cold water but are dead ringers for trilobites. They are found around the Falkland Islands and Antarctica.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You FIND these?!?! Where?!?! I got one at a gift shop, but you found some?!?! I knew that occasionally people find them, but wow! I'd buy those from you.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

You should put the fossils in the tank as decor. That would look cool.
    They're watching us. o.0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet setup! I haven't gotten started yet on their tanks. I'm interested to see how the green australians do since they get big and are less cannibalistic than the other varieties (supposedly).

I dig Tripos cos of Trilobites too. My old hippy uncle used to wear a belt buckle he made from a Trilobite fossil (sometimes he wore the big YES buckle ). He was a big rock/fossil collector in the 60's and 70s and was also the one who got me into terrariums and plants.
    Last edited by swords; 07-11-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    If you like trilobites, check out the genus Serolis. They require very cold water but are dead ringers for trilobites. They are found around the Falkland Islands and Antarctica.

-Hermes.
    I have seen some pic of them when I was researching the Triops. Would be a little hard to replicate the correct conditions and even obtaining them seems a bit far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    You FIND these?!?! Where?!?! I got one at a gift shop, but you found some?!?! I knew that occasionally people find them, but wow! I'd buy those from you.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

You should put the fossils in the tank as decor. That would look cool.
    The Cryptolithus can longer be obtained from the site I used to go to. It was at Swatara Gap at the 81 road cut. So many people hunted these Trilobites that they where starting to weaken the bridge for route 81 by digging into the rock formation. I have only dug into the rock formation when hunting fossils only if a specimen was partially exposed, and looked very clean. I find 99.9% of my fossils I have by whats laying around on the ground.

The following Brachiopods came from a site that is now closed.

Here are some nice complete Brachiopods - spinocyrtia (?) - Devonian Period I collected.

Here's a nice Chesapecten - Miocene / Pliocene Period I collected.

I would not place any in the tank, the water would start to dissolve the rock and mess up the fossil, not to mention change my water chemistry.

swords,
    Thanks for the comment on the set-up. I've been thinking of getting some others, Triops Austrailensis green and the Beni-kabuto ebi albino Triops canciformis.
    I emailed the seller, who also sells the Triops Austrailensis green and many other varieties, before I purchased the Triops cancriformis about which ones live the longest and got the largest size. He told me it is the Triops cancriformis.
    There is not a lot of info on them on the web, and some of it seems incorrect. The picture of the large Triops on the thread you started; I have seen that picture on 2 to 3 different Triops... so which one that really is, is a guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a heck of a Fossil collection - Back when I was collecting my own fossils, I also ran across Triops in the many google searches Amazing collection of Trilobites. I have 1 small Elrathia kingii from the Late Permian period, and some Phacops species also from the Late Permian period, along with a somewhat decent-sized unknown species.

PICS

Elrathia

Phacops

Unknown
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neat fossils.....the rocks around here are to young for them, last part of the Cretaceous......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    petmantis,
    I really like the Phacops rana.

Is the Elrathia kingii real or a replica? It looks strange to me.
    I wanted to buy some Trilobite fossils off ebay before, but found out there is a huge problem with fakes on there and even stores that sell them. I may not mind buying a replica, but I want to know that's what I'm getting.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast