Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I got a new betta! Any advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a cycled tank exactly? So to answer your question, no. And @ seedjar, your probably right, but it was the only example i could think of off the top of my head.
    My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...189#post968189
    Some people see the glass as half full, others half empty. I'm the person whose laughing at the people arguing over a glass of water

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling a tank, if I recall, means letting the tank run with no occupants for a while (a few weeks maybe?) so that the water and tank fixtures can have a chance to grow associated bacteria and other microbes that help to keep conditions stable. Introducing fish and their wastes into an uncycled tank can be dangerous because the additional nutrients can allow hazardous germs to take hold and dominate the environment if there are no beneficial cultures to compete with them.
    ~Joe

PS - Speaking of instinctively jumping off of cliffs, be careful about how far you fill your bowl/tank/etc. Bettas are very capable jumpers and will hop out of their tank to see what's on the other side of the glass if the rim is within reach. My betta, Mr. President, met his end that way.
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not necessarily hazardous germs, but waste products such as ammonia and nitrite are poisonous to fish (will cause gill damage). usually in a cycled tank, there will be bacteria that fix these harmful chemicals into nitrate which can be used by plants or harmless to fish. however, in a new tank, the tank is initially sterile with no bacteria present that would be capable of fixing these molecules, which will lead to the death of your fish.

with that being said, heavily planting your tank with live plants will speed up the cycle or allow you to skip the cycling process all together.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thanks for the clarification amp. I knew it was about waiting for the good stuff to grow, just didn't quite remember why it was necessary...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually if yah got nothing living in the tank you can not cycle it.....no fish waste means no bacteria will show up to eat it......gotta have the waste present to get the bacteria......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point rattler. yes, you need a waste source. right now, the newest method involves dumping a feeding amount of fish food into the water, and allow it to foul up--let the bacteria do their thing. another alternative is using an ammonia source (be creative) and dumping that into the tank, and wait it out as well.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with bettas its not as big of a deal i dont think, especially if you keep them in a regular aquarium and not a lil tiny bowl....a healthy betta can make it through the spike while the bacteria establish provided there is enough water....and as someone said, if its a planted tank, the plants should take up most the ammonia before it becomes a problem...

there are other species of fish that are touchy though and you really do need a correctly cycled tank or you risk stressing out the fish and it getting sick and possibly dieing....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh it is definitely still a big deal. Ammonia is still an irritant with nitrite being even more potentially fatal. I recommend fishless cycling for ALL fish. Any measurable amount is too much.

Do you have a test kit? A liquid one is definitely preferred as strips are unreliable. You should be doing water changes whenever ammonia and nitrite get over .25 ppm, which is just the lowest point the API tests measure...API is generally the recommended test kit btw.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast