Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I got a new betta! Any advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @jpappy: firmly agree with you. the methods i described before are in the pretext of using no fish.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I did not know about cycling tanks. There are no living plants as the puny little LED light it came with couldn't light up the whole tank. It does receive light when the overhead lights in our basement come on, because it’s in the family area the overhead lights are one quite often. We are planning to do a 25% water change weekly, would that be enough to help keep the Ammonia down until the tank is cycled? And the tank is filled up about 2 inches below the rim, but has a lid onto, and I don't think he can jump out. And I'm assuming if the betta has built a bubble nest, he is adapting well to the new tank?
    My grow list:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...189#post968189
    Some people see the glass as half full, others half empty. I'm the person whose laughing at the people arguing over a glass of water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
    Uh it is definitely still a big deal. Ammonia is still an irritant with nitrite being even more potentially fatal. I recommend fishless cycling for ALL fish. Any measurable amount is too much.

if that was the case, Walmart couldnt keep the dang things alive long enough to sell.........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    if that was the case, Walmart couldnt keep the dang things alive long enough to sell.........
    I never said it was always fatal but it can still cause gill damage.

Just because a fish can survive poor water quality doesn't mean it should be subjected to it...thriving vs. merely surviving...

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Williamg View Post
    Oh, I did not know about cycling tanks. There are no living plants as the puny little LED light it came with couldn't light up the whole tank. It does receive light when the overhead lights in our basement come on, because itís in the family area the overhead lights are one quite often. We are planning to do a 25% water change weekly, would that be enough to help keep the Ammonia down until the tank is cycled? And the tank is filled up about 2 inches below the rim, but has a lid onto, and I don't think he can jump out. And I'm assuming if the betta has built a bubble nest, he is adapting well to the new tank?
    You would have to be testing in order to know for sure if it is enough. I'd do every other day to be certain but I strongly suggest getting a liquid test.
    -Josh
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was getting crickets and noticed that they have crowntail, double tail, etc. females as well as males, so can I keep one or two females in with a male in a 1/2 filled ten gallon full of plants and branches? I don't want to have to separate them at any time - can they be safely kept together permanently or only meeting to breed then they have to be alone again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @swords: you're approaching pro-territory. yes it can be done. initially there will be quite a few skirmishes between the male and the two females, and even between the two females themselves (it is probably better to have more than 2 females, at least 4). the male will hopefully establish alpha dominance, but the females also need to establish a hierarchy as well--the dominant female will be the one that ends up spawning the most with the male. by buying multiple females, the aggression between females spreads out.

key is to plant heavy and make sure that hiding places are abundant. there have been cases where multiple males may be kept together, but the only way is if they were siblings and the father was still present in the tank (as the alpha dominant male). if you remove the alpha male, the whole tank goes to hell.
    Last edited by amphirion; 08-13-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aint always the males that fight.....right after laying egs one time i had a female beat the heck out of a the male and shred his fins.....

I never said it was always fatal but it can still cause gill damage.

Just because a fish can survive poor water quality doesn't mean it should be subjected to it...thriving vs. merely surviving...
    do some water changes daily and the betta will get through it fine while it cycles the tank......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, i've had plenty-o that happen during many failed breeding attempts. females spar slightly with males to test their aggression to ensure the future of their offspring. usually a good strong nip and good chase puts females into submission, it's usually the pansy males that end up getting beaten up.
    +growlist
    +picture thread

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast