What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got a new betta! Any advice?

It honestly doesn't look like fin rot to me. It looks more like he was either biting it (tail biters are a huge pain in the butt), or that blue plastic plant you have in there with him has been shredding his fins. Betta fins are extremely delicate and it's best to stay away from plastic plants and stick with either fabric or real. I'm not sure what you mean by water "cleaner" (conditioner maybe?), but no it wouldn't cause that damage to his fins.

I'd stop with the pH down. Unless you have acidic water or unstable pH, just leave it. Messing with the pH is extremely bad for the fish since it's hard to always get it constant. Huge pH fluctuations too quickly send fish into shock. My bettas are on my water with nothing added and my pH is around 7.8, so you're perfectly fine there.

I admit that I didn't read through the whole thread, but I did see that you have a 1.5 gallon tank and saw the picture of your filter. You won't be able to cycle that tank so you will need to do frequent 100% water changes. I'd say about every 3-5 days, any longer and you will risk exposing your boy to ammonia. Dirty water causes sick fish, shortened lifespans, and possibly death. It's also what causes fin rot, but that doesn't look to be your problem at all. Just keep his water extra clean, remove sharp decorations, and everything should be fine (if he's not a tail biter that is).

1) Tap water is fine for pretty much all commercially bred fish. If it's safe to drink, it is safe for fish IMO.

2) The strips are worthless. Get a liquid test kit and post exact readings. That is the only way to confirm when it is cycled and where you are at the moment.

Sorry for the wait guys, I went off for the weekend on a trip. My Betta does have fin rot. I have been treating with maracin, and been doing 100% water changes, as well as adding aquarium salt. His tail has cleared up except for one or two patches, which are pretty much gone. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Williamg

Just some advice...ditch the salt. It's nothing but NaCl and honestly if you have water like the majority of us in the states it has as much sodium and chloride as your fish need. A snake oil product IMHO unless you are treating for something like Ich and in that case just use table salt.

But good to know that he's healing up!

@jpappy: depends on what kind of salt you use. yeah majority of salt is NaCl, but there are some other trace elements found in aquarium salt that are beneficial to organisms as electrolytes. things such as potassium and iodine and magnesium may be found. just dont throw the baby out with the bathwater. :)

API's aquarium salt is 100% sodium chloride. Their MSDS says so...and I wouldn't be surprised if others were the same.

I've never used it and most I know do not use any either...fish do just fine with what is in my tap, minus the nasties of course.

ah, well in that case, i completely agree with you.

I suggest you do alot of research on betta keeping, like the amount of research you do on CP

oh the bit about the lemming suicide is a popular urban myth

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp
I kinda figured, but honestly I was being petty and I was kinda peeved at rattlers comment. :blush: And I have done a large amount of research, but reading something, then looking at your fish to find out what is going is pretty difficult. And on the salt, the one I use is made from sea salt, so it does have different salts in it. I do plan to stop using it, but it is helping to prevent re infection from the fin rot. The change of salinity does help and kills some bacteria. My Betta's fins have started to completely heal. I also added some live plants to help keep the water clean and give him some hiding place. Thanks for all the help guys!
Williamg

Good idea on the plants!

Back