What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset up the plant tank... again... OH! And annual killies coming up =)

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So, some of you may recall I had set up my 29 gallon tank from fish to planted and shrimp. It did well for a while until hydra showed up, so I did this contraversal dog de-wormer treatment which worked perfectly on killing the hydra. But despite water changes over the next month things took a turn for the worse on the plants and shrimp... Related to the hydra treatment? dunno. Anyway, I had picked up some plants from petco, and had them going in there and they didn't look great after the treatment. Someone here offered me some plants, and heck... why not start a new hobby so here are some annual killie eggs (Nothobranchius palmqvisti).

So I set up a 3 gallon tank for those fry which I will hatch in about 4 more weeks. And planted up my 29 gallon tank with stuff he sent me and trimmed up the stuff I already had. I also picked up fertilizers he recommended, and got my DIY Co2 system back up and running. Everything looks good so far. =)

Before:
IMG_1631_1_.JPG

Trimmed up my stuff- my moss wasn't planted because it was to go on the log with stuff he was sending me...
IMG_1636.JPG

Thanks for the care package!! These plants were in better shape than what I had bought from Azgardens (and I picked those up locally- no mail!)
IMG_1637.JPG

Directly after finishing planting the new stuff
IMG_1638.JPG

And my 3 gallon killie fry tank (shortly after adding the snails/plants/shrimp)
IMG_1635.JPG

Will update =)
Andrew

Awesome start, Andy!

the dewormers commonly have an agent that inhibits chitin formation. Would mess up the shrimp big time.

MTF

I read mixed reviews. Like I said, they did fine for like a month, then started knocking off. Who knows, it could have been too much water changes trying to get the stuff out of the tank once the pests were gone. lol

may i ask how you managed to get Nothobranchius palmqvisti? i was looking around different venues: vendors, aquabid, etc. but i couldnt find any source that was within the US. also, could you give a brief snippet of their husbandry requirements?

Nothobranchius palmqvisti were one of the easy annual killies I played with in my time. they even would take non live food. 3 moth egg storage (barely moist peat), just add water and instant fish.. even better than sea monkeys. Very active killifish group in AZ. Good people, got fish from them and sent them boxes and boxes of fish in the good old days.
http://www.aka.org/ark/

Nothobranchius palmqvisti were one of the easy annual killies http://www.aka.org/ark/

Yes, but some folks easy fish are difficult species for others. Either way, there is a learning curve to successfully raising and breeding annuals.

On a different topic, I do not recommend ever adding medications to a planted tank, certainly not one containing shrimp. Aquarium plants can act as chemical sinks. Even though you may change the water, the compounds are still present in the plants. They later start to decompose and the chemicals are back in your water. Not saying that's what happened to Andrew's tank, but certainly could explain why he lost shrimp weeks later.

I'm interested in following the growth in his newly scaped tank and the future growth of his killies. :water:

I never had any luck with N. racchovi. most of the south American annuals never worked for me either but the palmqvisti were easy bread and butter fish.

MTF

Was that Water Sprite I saw?

jimscott- yes it is.

That was my favorite aquatic plant.

For good reason, its easy, it tolerates low light, its prolific, it can be floated or planted in gravel, and its like having a second filter!!

Fish breeders should never be without Water Sprite and Java Moss.

Java moss came with my water sprite. LOL

Here are some current pics of my tank, everything is doing great!!

IMG_2174.JPG

Some bubbling going on a few days after the plants were trimmed and a fresh batch of DIY CO2 was introduced.

IMG_2176.JPG

Andrew

Wow. I'm really amazed at some of you guys, and gals:D, setups. Do you plant before you fill it up with water or after?

After, if you check out page one of this topic... You can see the move and addition of some plants.

Back