What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amphirion's pico tank (2.5 gallons)

Dash: they can provided they have enough gas for respiration (CO2)....they used to make flowers underwater during the transition to submersed growth, but have stopped doing so since then...so for now, it just makes an attractive lawn....

Very nice mat of UG you have there. Looks great.

Do you have any problems keeping it planted? Thats always been an issue for me submerged.

@rss: actually no--i think the reason is because i grew it for a long time emmersed. it had plenty of time to establish itself in the soil. i took that pic because the UG is actually due for a trim! going to propagate new UG from the cuttings soon....as you can tell, you cant even see the rocks from the original tank anymore!

i hear if you continuously cut it down, it prevents the UG from growing to high and dislodging itself from the substrate.

And just HOW do you mow an underwater lawn?

@lil: with curved scissors...its more like a haircut.

some more pics before the big prune:
DSCN3986.JPG

DSCN3983.JPG

RSCN3972.JPG

DSCN3991.JPG

a suitor in breeding garb (and you can see algae if you look hard enough XD)
RSCN3979.JPG

DSCN3990.JPG

the soil here was no more than a QUARTER INCH THICK!
DSCN3992.JPG

i suspect high lighting is what is keeping the UG from floating.

Stop posting photo's of Pogostemon helferi, your making me want to "try" and grow it again. Love that plant, but it seems to hate me :-(.

whats the spotted fish in the first pic ?
I think i just saw those today at a local aquarium shop.

Wow that is awesome. :) Those fish are lucky!

@talie: Celestichthys margaritatus
@dex: thanks very much! i think im might have witnessed some courtship/spawning behavior...

they're kinda expensive. about $7 a pop around here.

How long did it take you to grow that UG matt? :p

I would have to say that this is by far the best planted tank I have ever seen, and I have seen a fair few over the years, that and having worked in a tropical fish store for three years aided the endeavor. Nevertheless, I have a question, one I ask each time I see the stuff, yet never get an answer. The lovely green flora covering the tank bottom, much like a grass, what is it? I ask because I have never seen it, in the flesh, so to speak, here in Australia and I'm starting to think it is maybe unavailable.

utricularia graminifolia :)

I want to try CPDs again now.... I'm jealous of your stock. Although I do have rare licorice gouramis and killies, so I guess we're even.

so the time came where the tank grew too unruly and everything fell apart....time to start over from scratch... a familiar and yet new scene, with overhang action!

_MG_4148.png

Back