User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My annual killie attempt (Nothobranchius palmqvisti)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, Andrew. Fish from dirt is always a great experience. You are going to be amazed by how fast they grow. Looking forward to updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve the A. australes are great! Very relaxed and easy to breed. They were my first killies and live a very long time compared to the annuals.

What will you be feeding the fry Andy? I used BBS in the 1990s but I'll bet there's easier things nowadays for fry feeding.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good looking fish there too elgecko. I did pour the peat in the breeding tank, but that will probably be siphoned out once the killies are big enough that I won't suck them out. right now, the RCS are enjoying fingering through the new found goodies. heh

Thanks Duane, it was amazing and I'm sure it will never get old!

Swords, BBS is still the thing to use! Imagine that, some stuff never changes I have a BS hatchery thing from back in the day when I had some angels lay eggs.... So I have that going but I picked up this constant BBS feeder thingie too... I have not started it yet, but it sits in the tank where the BS hatch in the salt water side, and they end up swimming into the tank (supposedly) so I'm going to try that out once the killies have a larger appetite. For now, just sticking with the hatching/collecting/feeding from the hatchery. I tossed some BBS in shortly after dumping the killies in but honestly I did not see any eating going on. That said, the killies seem to be hiding pretty well but I don't see too many BBS up at the light either so I guess they ate.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, my tank sides are fairly dirty... so maybe I'll try to clean the front up a bit more, but here is the best I could do photo wise (well, only putting like 3 mins into it :0) )

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great fry shots! Looks like someone has been eating BBS. And to think that 24 hrs ago all you had was a bag of dirt .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Andy and Spdskr I am considering ordering a couple trios of Killies for my planted tank and I have been reading that using R/O water is bad for them. What is the reason for this? Isn't R/O perfectly clean like rainwater? I didn't have an R/O machine in the old days but now that I do I thought it was the best thing to use for everything?

I have my tank full of R/O water but there are a few seashells in it to dissolve some calcium & minerals in the water for the pink and purple apple snails. The snails & plants seem to be doing fine in this water. Today I noticed the snails have put on some new growth since they arrived and get to eat everyday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most killies aren't all that particular when it comes to water conditions. If you were thinking gardneri or australe your water should be fine for breeding also. Some species of lampeyes, cyprinodons, fundulus....etc require hard or even brackish water to thrive whereas some rivulus and diapteron species need very soft water to prosper. Annual species in my experience only care if the water is wet....lol.

As far as keeping killies in planted tanks, it's the only way I raise mine. The only problems I have are getting non-annual species' eggs to hatch in my CO2 injected high tech planted tank.

What species are you planning to get?

Duane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably Aphyoseimons or Fundulopanchax, I haven't decided which species from these families yet probably something mainly blue or purple. I enjoyed keeping & breeding several of these kinds years ago in my planted tanks. They are "large", colorful and non-annual. I think my initial pair of A. australes lived almost 3 years although they looked pretty haggard near the end there.

I used DIY CO2 (yeast & water) on my tanks and still had enough babies to sell here and there once in a while but perhaps I could have had more babies if I hadn't used the CO2? I've read that bright light also inhibits hatching and my tanks were always well lit for the plants. I also didn't seperate them most of the time until they got to an inch or so, so the parents probably gobbled a lot of the fry up too! LOL

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast