User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My annual killie attempt (Nothobranchius palmqvisti)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    We had 2 cockatiels... got another baby (3 weeks old) today. First time hand feeding :X the one you hear is not the new one though lol

Yah, a bag of peat! Annual killies live in ponds, so the fish spawn and the eggs wait to be dried out (well, damp but not flooded) and then hatch about 3 months later in a fresh rain. Eat like crazy, spawn and do it all over again... super neat so far =)

Andrew
    *engage n00b switch*

OK, hang on a second... just to be extra clear. Will any old bag of peat be likely to have killi eggs in it??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only if your peat came from africa.....
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    more likely elephant poop collected from a temporary pool in south east Africa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFury View Post
    *engage n00b switch*

OK, hang on a second... just to be extra clear. Will any old bag of peat be likely to have killi eggs in it??
    Fair question. Killie breeders incubate annual species' eggs in damp peat moss. In nature these fish live in temporary pools. The eggs are deposited in the substrate and survive for months during the dry season in a suspended developmental state. When the rains return, hatching occurs. The fry are already fully formed and ready to feed (as in Andrew's pics). They mature within 1-2 months and the process begins again.

Andrew's experimentation with annual killies is not related to his CP business. He just happens to know a killie breeder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's awesome! Thanks for the explanation. I wish I had the space to get some aquariums set up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Probably Aphyoseimons or Fundulopanchax, I haven't decided which species from these families yet probably something mainly blue or purple. I enjoyed keeping & breeding several of these kinds years ago in my planted tanks. They are "large", colorful and non-annual. I think my initial pair of A. australes lived almost 3 years although they looked pretty haggard near the end there.

I used DIY CO2 (yeast & water) on my tanks and still had enough babies to sell here and there once in a while but perhaps I could have had more babies if I hadn't used the CO2? I've read that bright light also inhibits hatching and my tanks were always well lit for the plants. I also didn't seperate them most of the time until they got to an inch or so, so the parents probably gobbled a lot of the fry up too! LOL
    Not sure for your water, but when I started injecting CO2 I found I could no longer get any fry from my rivulus in that tank. The adults were still spawning, but I never saw any more fry. As a disclaimer, my water is quite hard and I do not dilute it with RO. Because I inject CO2, I end up with a low pH (6.0) even though my water out of the tap is 8.2. Once again, the adults don't mind, but I can't hatch eggs in this tank.

You should do much better, I'm guessing, with your water qualities. I've never found my killies to be all that keen on eating their fry as long as they are well fed. But then again, there are plenty of hiding places for the liitle ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what it will be like keeping fish this time, in the past I used tap water which tested at 7.8 or so. It's high ppm city tap water which runs through the condominiums sodium softener and probably old copper pipes too. I am using R/O cos I wanna raise some nice inverts and stuff this time. Always before my attempts with tiny Amano and Ghost shrimps died in a matter of days. I figure with a few small seashells in there it will harden the R/O up a bit. I suppose I could put a couple in the filter box. It's what I'm doing for my Geosesarma sp. "Red Vampire Crabs" filling their pools with R/O water with a few pieces of busted up shells in them.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm really not the guy to ask about killies... I know just enough to get where I am right now :-p Duane sure seems to know his stuff though (we met over at plantedtank.net when I started my planted tank stuff). I keep pond and nerite snails, and also amano and red cherry shrimps all in basically tap water (water conditioner is used to remove chlorine etc but no PH adjustments or anything) and my water is pretty dang hard (no water softener though).

Anyway, for the past 3 hours I've been trying to upload a video... and it finally worked (gave up waiting on the first to process and reuploaded it) It came out better than I could have expected, hope you enjoy it too!!

My 48hr. fry eating their evening BBS (Duane was not lying... These guys are fierce eaters!!)

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast