What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

amphirion's 6 gallon project...

starting a new tank, working with something bigger. 3.5 gallons bigger than the last to be exact.
this is going to be more of a fish thank than a planted tank, but a planted tank never the less. i made this thread to share with you guys the progress of how i make my tanks. you'll be pleased to know that i plan on growing CPs in this tank as well :)

so here's the schematics:
flora:
Anubias nana "petite" [Apparently the ICRA for Anubias has not recorded this cultivar in its database - http://www.aroid.org].
Fissidens fontanus
Utricularia biloba
Utricularia nephrophylla

fauna:
Rhadinocentrus ornatus from Teewah Creek
Rhinogobius zhoui

and here's the progress so far:
DSCN3830.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looking great so far! :D
Were did you get them rocks ?
I look around for nice rocks everytime im somewere in nature but there are only river pebbles here :(

Good looking tank so far. Let us know how that filter works out, I bought one a month or so ago and its still in the packing waiting for me to use it.

How are you planning on using U. nephrophylla? I've never tried to grow it submerged, I know it will grow like a weed on the waterline.

thanks guys
@talie: rocks were bought online.....go flat priority mail boxes!
@RSS: biloba will probably be semi submerged but mostly emmergent. nephrophylla will be mostly emmergent.

Hand for scale? :awesome:

Looking good so far! Could put a pot of something on the side there under the lamp hangover too!

I'm typically not fond of scapes with so much rock, but I actually really like this one. I'm excited to see it's progress. Subscribed!

here's some more pics....because i aim to please, lol.
please excuse the cloudy water---im in the process of cycling the tank, so it's going through a massive bacterial bloom. no fishies are harmed though---because im using the fishless technique.

whole tank (so far)
DSCN3833.jpg

left side, heavy corner emphasis:
DSCN3841.jpg

right side, heavy corner emphasis:
DSCN3842.jpg

from the left side of the tank:
DSCN3840.jpg

Lookin' good!

Pretty cute little tank, as to be expected as usual :awesome:

I bet the gobies will love all those rocks. I also really love those rocks. What are they rocks called for me to do some online rock snooping of my own...rock envy ;/

@alledged: thanks very much! they're called "north fork ledge rock" and i purchased them here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241412

in other news, the tank sprung a leak....had a ton of fun getting the sand out.....resealing is a messy job and i dont feel motivated to fix it---gonna buy another 6 gallon--and INSPECT IT THOROUGHLY! i've learned my lesson, hopefully i'll get things running again by tonight!

in other news, the tank sprung a leak....
GAH What a bummer man! Sorry to hear that. If you have Petsmart shops in the area you can pick up a 10 gallon with 100gph power filter and lid holding 2x 26 W CFL bulbs for $19.99 as a package deal during January.

Whoa! those rocks are awesome!!
I rlly got to check out some landscaping rock supplier nearby.
Ive thought about nice rocks before, but after seeing those i rlly need to have some! :D

@swords: ORLY? i might do that---but at the same time i want a rimless tank---im HM when it comes to stuff like this. however, 100 gph powerfilter and a lid holding 2x26W CFL bulbs, i might check that out....

Yeah, I tried pulling the rims off a 10 gallon once and I cracked it, the glass is too thin I guess. But I also didn't use the heat gun to melt the frame/silicone a bit like I did when pulling the rims off my 40 gallon cube mod. I just tried to use the utility knife to separate glass and frame and pull... I got the bottom off but when I went after the top frame I snapped the front pane. :crap:

well, here's what's going on:
DSCN3851.jpg

DSCN3864.jpg

U. biloba & U. nephrophylla (back right corner)
DSCN3869.jpg

im expecting a show in a year or two....:lol:

Awwww, I'm glad you could save it!
It's pretty :-D

And I like yer big fancy scissors :p
It's gonna be a boss tank when it's all established!

omg you got duckweed in there!!! :O
Looking good though

Back