What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to cycle a tank fishless

Wow, its been a while since I last posted. I blame the old bucket of bolts that was my ancient and dieing laptop. It gave out on me. So I got a new one and am back.

ANYWAYS

I was wondering, what is the best way to cycle my ten gallon planted tank, without risking the health of the betta I plan on putting in there aka cycling fishless. I have the water on really warm, at 84 degrees because I read that it helps to promote the growth of the beneficial bacteria and thus reduce cycling time.

I have heard that I can either "feed" the tank a small pinch of food in the filter or use store bought ammonia and add a few drops in the filter. What is recommended?

I am going to also ask the people on the planted tank forum that I am a member of to see what they say. I am just asking around, doing research and getting a good idea of what to do. Its always a good idea to keep one's options open.

Ive only set up an aquarium once.
12 gallon very heavily planted.
I did not rlly cycle it, i started with garden soil substrate, like 20 different plants, and a cup of water out of a jar with duckweed and various microfauna and never had that spike ppl talk about.
I did not throw any stuff in it bec i figured the organics in the garden soil i used would be enough.
ammonia/nitrite started out at 4ppm and went down to 0 in 2 weeks and never got higher since.
nitrate went from 10 to 20 after 2 weeks and 4 weeks later it was 0 too and stayed that way.
But whatever way you choose to do it, test a lot!

I have always added a little fish food to the tank when it's first set up and and another small amount of fish food in 2 weeks. Let it sit an additional 2 weeks and it's ready for fish.

Do you have an Ammonia / Nitrite / Nitrate kit? That would be helpful toward monitoring where the tamk is in its cycling. A small sponge or box filter would really be helpful in getting through the Nitrogen Cycle.

also, turn up the heat---to like 80F---the higher the heat, the faster the bacteria replicate and the faster the nitrogen cycle process.

Yes, I have turned up the heat, and I have an API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

34.png
?

What is the reading?

Looks like something Wile E. Coyote would use!

Back