Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Killi Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats an amazing tank. killis are going in the vivarium im building right now. whats your water flow like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, tank still going strong but took out a few plant species (such as the monstrous monstera) and cleared things up a bit both in water and out of it. Begonia is showing off these days so wanted to update with her piccie. Papyrus has flowered as well, she's too tall for me now, reaching up almost to the ceiling.

Hazed, as I mentioned in the pm, there's no water flow at the moment. There was an Eheim running but water flow was minimal due to the residue in the hose and the cloth covering the filter's mouth (to protect the fry); so just unplugged it. I still do water changes but once a month or so; the water is sparkly clean thanks to the fast growing plant species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was surprised to see a Cyanostictum baby today. There is really nothing that can match a diapteron's beauty, it's unrivalled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got a couple of killifish, Aplocheilus Lineatus, i like that they swim at the top of the water with their shovel-shaped heads.
    I would be thrilled to see more pictures of your terrariums / enviroment.
    whats that tank on the windowsill? view from your apartment? :] etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh, lineatus...gorgeous fish but aggressive, a glutton and breeds too much. i gave away my pair months ago and still find their babies here and there. if it's your first time beware, it's not a good community fish.

took a few piccies for you.
    this is the southern room. the sun rises from the left of the windows travelling right. the tank is facing south so it receives the most direct light before the sun is blocked by the room wall.
    this room is for plants only so the balcony door is open 24/7. they are getting a good temp. drop at night and air flow.
    here u see begonia sp, syngonium, papyrus plants, d regia, n ventrata, n maxima, hoya carnosa...etc. any nepenthes and drosera you see in this room is only here for the winter, they are out on the balcony come spring.
    (moved monstera as she needed more space)

can you spot the cat ? the mini terrarium is for d glanduligera seeds. no germination yet. the other one is a cephalotus german giant and d prolifera,

a few drosophyllums for experimental reasons, albomarginata, seedlings of VFT and drosera...etc

view from the southern room as you asked,

a few shots of the tank. the only downside is it's very difficult to take photos because of the light and reflection. it's mostly dead leaves and roots of the papyrus plant inside. the water is very clean. i will try again on a cloudy day with flash.

my valuable south balcony! receives about 8+ hours of direct sunlight in summer. mostly cacti, succulents, aroids and CPs here. any sun loving plant goes here, including nepenthes but those are shaded.

back corner where the old girls reside, i love this bunch.

seedling/juvenile and recovery terrarium. i will take all nepenthes out come spring and let them adapt to my climate if they can (i don't like terrariums),
    vft seedlings, a few utrics, p gigantea, d regia seedlings, sibuyanensis, truncata queen x king, maxima, veitchii, truncata x ventricosa...etc

other end,

main drosophyllum room. facing southwest,

northwest room, using this side for ferns and low light plants;

the other southwest room. using this for seedlings and recovering/young nepenthes;
    datura seedlings, tomato, pepper, purple passion vine...etc

and finally the second balcony, facing northwest. using this for non-cps, a few of which have rotted in the snowstorm as you can see but they will come back.
    this is also where i keep my white worm stock.
    stinging nettle, cyclamen (has a great fragrance), violets, a few wild plants and a p medusina hybrid.

this is it basically. way too many plants to show one by one so if you are curious about a particular side or species, let me know so i can zoom in for you.
    cheers from Istanbul!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful photographs! You really captured it all
    What is the large object emerging from the water in the tank? A rock?
    I'm really envious of your dedicated grow space.
    Thanks so much for sharing! And thank you for the advice on the killi.

Cute cat reflection by the way ;] had me looking in the wrong picture for a while.
    And those leaves sure are red underneath! Very neat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no worries, you're welcome
    that object in the middle is a driftwood but i can't remember its type. something beginning with "red..." ? it takes a long time to sink in, but has a great form 'cos it has many branches. i tied moss to every branch which took over after a while. it's completely submerged sometimes but usually keep half way out because killifish don't like deep water.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

i found an old photo of the tank, this is the driftwood i was mentioning;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aw! I see! once again, thanks for sharing :]
    that second photo really clears things up

i take many pics of my plants and tanks, but they are all of low quality and i am not very organised. i will try to make a point of getting them all uploaded sometime soon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast