Thread: Crazy Killi Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy Killi Tank

Here's my big planted tank;

Crowded, huh ?

That's not the best part though. Here is the crazy part, the species inside:

Adults

A. Joergenscheeli
    D. Fulgens
    D. Cyanostictum
    D. Georgiae
    Fp. Gardneri 'Mamfensis'

Juvies/Fry (the ones I've seen yet)

D. Cyanostictum
    D. Georgiae
    A. Elberti
    A. Bualanum (arguably Elberti, but still in use)
    A. Halleri
    A. Australe 'Chocolate'
    A. Ocellatum
    A. Lineatus

Plants

Aldrovanda
    U. Graminifolia
    U. Gibba
    Java Moss
    Java Fern
    Salvinia Natans
    Pistia
    Water Hyacinth (still battling spider mites!)
    Lemna Minor
    Najas sp
    Syngonium
    Papyrus Plant
    Hoya Carnosa
    Begonis sp.
    Monstera Deliciosa
    ...and a few more whose names I can't remember.

You won't believe it perhaps, but it works. I wouldn't keep them together if I observed the slightest damage to the fish as there are some very valuable species inside.
    Joergenscheeli male has a territory in the back which he won't let anyone come in. Gardneri males tend to get aggressive and chase others away but nothing serious. All others seem to get along peacefully.
    I think it works because they were put together at a young age and have grown up together; not to mention the fact that the tank is stuffed with plants, leaves and a large branch.

Only downside is that it's very difficult to take photos as it's completely dependant on sunlight. It's a southeastern window.

Keeping R. Xiphidius and Sjoestedti also but in different tanks. I didn't want to put Xiphidius inside the big one as they don't like deep-ish water and they would get lost totally.
    Sjoestedti as you know is just too big and too aggressive.

Expecting to update in the following weeks with hopefully a few pics of the fancy residents. Cheers from Istanbul -

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Very lucky today, D. Georgiae and Joergenscheeli male in the same photo.
    As you would imagine, Joergenscheeli was busy scaring everyone away and here you see Georgiae a little upset and flaring;

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Panchax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome Killi tank! And yeah, that is kinda crazy how they all co-habitate, but as you suggest, probably is because they were raised together. Good job!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know right, if someone told me this, I'd think they are clueless or kidding...I managed to breed Cyanos and Georgiae but still nothing from Fulgens or Joergenscheeli. Now that it's quite cold outside, I'm going to give them another try.

Took out some lemna minor today, some guys were curious;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is awesome!! A. elberti/bualanum are probably my favorite killie.............owned a few a couple decades back but I don't have any killies now. That is one species I would like to own again someday.

Love your tank and setup!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on keeping Diapterons happy....not always the easiest task. Are you concerned about them hybridizing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey you
    I am not concerned as no fish in this tank is for sale/share. I myself am actually curious to see how they would hybridize, I would love that. I know Cyanostictum and Georgiae live together in the wild although that is the Yekara population and I don't have that; but still, I think there's a high chance others meet in nature as well. It's very interesting; when you look at diapterons, they all look the same really, same color palette, just placed differently. I haven't seen Abacinum yet, though.
    On a side note; I found them to be peaceful and rather easy. I thought I would lose them come summer; but Joergenscheeli was the problem baby, not them. Fulgens was problematic as well, but Georgiae and Cyanostictum are certainly very sturdy.

I love Elberti too, woodnative Lovely little shy fish, one of the peaceful ones in my tank. Those are not adults yet, still juvies but pretty colorful.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing tank and amazing fish!
    -Josh
    Grow list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast