Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40g Breeder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking tank !! I love cories, they are such cute little fish. I have 6 in my tank, 3 bronze, 1 albino ( did have 3 but 2 died ) and 2 that were given to me by mil when she got rid of her tank.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!

It's going to be awhile before I consider ferts of any kind. I'm having the worst time getting this tank cycled. I am using ammonia, it's the brand that's been recommended over and over again from Ace Hardware. It doesn't sud when shaken etc. I'm getting enormous nitrITE spikes from the tiniest amount of ammonia added. I'm down to adding about 5/6 drops of ammonia to the tank. This gives no ammonia readings what so ever on the test kit, but it sends my nitrITES from 0 to 1ppm. I mean 5 or 6 drops? The conversion ratio should be near 1:1. I finally did get some gravel from a seeded aquarium. It hasn't made much of a difference yet, but it's only been a couple days. To give an idea for those that aren't familiar with fishless cycling, the ammonia feeds the bacteria instead of using fish. About 50 drops or so was giving me a ppm between 3 and 4 which is ideal. You never want to exceed 5ppm. At that point it becomes too concentrated for the bacteria to grow. All was going well, had ammonia around 3ppm, nitrites read 0 for the longest time (I've already tested both my water and ammonia for nitrites, they have none) then they spiked. I noticed I had an issue when I started having to do multiple 100% water changes just to reduce the nitrites back down as close to 0 as I could get them. Backed down to 1ppm ammonia and nitrites spiked to over 5ppm in just a couple hours. I finally decided to just add a tiny amount, even though it wouldn't be enough to register on the ammonia test. I get a .50-1ppm nitrite reading with just 5 drops of ammonia. It makes no sense. I wonder if I have some kind of bad/wrong type of bacteria growing in there? (I did not use any kind of bacteria in the bottle)

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is WOW!

FANTASTIC job Crystal!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice aesthetic taste!

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone!! I didn't mean to take this long to get back. I finally ended up having to seed my tank with material from another established tank. I never did figure out why my nitrites were spiking so high. I've never seen anything like it and apparently no one else had either. It took about another week or so, but everything became stable. I started out with three blue gouramis. I had them for a couple weeks to make sure the nitrites wouldn't spike again. This past weekend I added 6 Celebes Rainbows and 3 German Blue Rams. So far so good. I plan on adding at least 4 (six would be better) cory catfish. I'd still like to get some Endler's livebearers and a couple bristlenosed plecos, but I'm worried about overstocking. I have natural nitrAtes in my water (somewhere between 5 and 10ppm) so until I can get a method that removes them reliably, I don't want to risk overstocking.

Here is a video that I took of the tank last night. The water is still being stained by the driftwood...and I hate it lol. Eventually the wood should stop leaching. Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZkleBvx3Q
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your tank & that video! so relaxing! I miss my tank. great job & thanks for sharing! PS love the Ram
    Your momma!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful set up Crissy, happy that the nitrogen cycle finally calmed down for ya....

Very nice looking, I'm jealous :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the tank cycle naturally throw a few "guineapig" fish in there to get the system started. it needs the natural bacterias protazoa and microorganisms not ammonia from a bottle!!!!. sorry i work for a custom marine and tropical fish tank servicing company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast