Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overbuilding a Betta Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overbuilding a Betta Tank

...because why not?

I "rescued" a crowntail betta yesterday, and put him into a temporary tupperware home...where for all intents and purposes, he'd probably be fine.

But I don't like having bettas in anything less than 2 gallons...my conscience nags at me. So today I set out on a DIY adventure, not only for the fish, but for myself, because I'm thinking of maybe starting up a proper freshwater tank soon.

Two things I really wanted was filtration and heat. Heat wasn't an issue since tiny heaters are commonplace nowadays. Filtration was another matter, though...especially since I wasn't going to use a square tank, and didn't want an overflow filter anyway.

Looked up some DIY designs online and found one to my liking, and modified it a bit to turn it into an undergravel filter.

Basically...that's a fountain-pump with a plastic parsley bottle shoved on top of it. Stuff a little poly-fil in the bottle, and viola, you have a power-filter.

That's all fine and good...but how to stop the pump from sucking up bits of gravel? I wracked my brain for awhile before deciding that one of my extra water-trays looked about the right size, so I cut off the edges with scissors, and poked a bunch of holes in it with the soldering iron. I'll also probably cover it with a layer of rubberized screen mesh to stop any small particles of grit from getting to the impeller.

I'll probably put the heater underneath the tray as well, since there's plenty of room, and the water will be recirculating, in order to keep it out of sight and recover a little bit of space for the fish.

I'll also probably put a circular airstone in the center for aesthetics. Not sure that it's really needed, and I may change my mind. Other than that, the decorations will mostly be plastic, except for some sprigs of Anacharis. The tank will be sitting in an East-facing window, so I'm hoping that's enough light for the plants and fish both. I don't intend on supplementing with artificial light at the moment.
    Last edited by Zath; 06-14-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Cryptocoryne parva. Very slow growing small plant. Should do well. I've grown plants with undergravel filters. Not impossible.
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An air stone is not needed at all. Betas naturally water ways with low oxygen content. They have evolved a simple lung from their swim bladder witch allows them to breath air. He might actually do better without the air stone, but I'm not sure about that. Congratulations on your new fish friend.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The air-stone, as I said before, was going to be just for aesthetics, but I still haven't decided. It just depends on how much space I actually have once everything is in place.

As for the plants, I appreciate the recommendations, but I think I'm going to go with Anubias. Two forms; Anubias barteri var. nana, and Anubias minima. Both of these can be mounted to rocks / decoration so that the gravel can still be siphoned without disturbing the plants, or leaving pockets that might turn anaerobic.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. Your betta would probably enjoy a marimo too. They've been known to lounge on them like bean bag chairs.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm being a complete nerd, but....

I wanted something to cover up the plastic bottle of the filter that was sticking up above the gravel, so I carved this out of foam earlier:

I've heard that enamel paints are okay for DIY aquarium use, so that's probably what I'll use to paint it. I'll also likely need to drill some holes in the bottom and glue in some largish fishing weights to keep the thing from floating.

(Extra points if you recognize it)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a robot, maybe a transformer, but that's all I got.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've known a few beta enthusiasts who are strong proponents of giving a beta a tank no smaller than 5gals. With they can survive in smaller, it is not necessarily mean they should be kept in smaller containers. So the fact you went with something bigger than the Tupperware container is a good thing.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast