Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kribs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Spec,

So the convicts don't have anything to do with one another anymore? That's weird. Maybe letting their temperature slowly fall to 75F and then raising it up to 80F -- although watch for an ich relapse. They may just need more time to rebound fully from the ich. Hard call. I'd wait and just change water and feed and see what happens. Pairs that have bred once get back to it sooner or later.
    Have you ever used mail order fish places for supplies, like That Fishy Place or Pet Warehouse? They usually sell the food alot cheaper than the store. It might help you out with cost. Pacus get so big and eat so much -- bottomless pits [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img] . They live here in Houston in the local bayous from being released. They stay near the warm water waste pipes in winter.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi D muscipula,

Poor eyeless otos. Puffers never fail to reek havoc. I agree, they are cool fish but they sure are little demons.
    Your water sounds perfect for kribs. It would also be perfect for most killifish -- my favorites. Have you ever seen a blue gularis? He's a big beauty.
    The CO2 test kits can be expensive -- about $15 to $20 [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] . The DIY CO2 is hit and miss but alot of people have good success. If you ever upgrade, I would avoid some of the new convience oriented kits and go with the old fashioned bottle and regulator. They cost more up front but are alot cheaper in the long run and alot more versatile. I don't use CO2 in mine as I don't grow stem plants. I have found that with good light, some laterite and good fertilizer that the rooted plants do great without it. It's the stem plants (bunch plants) that always look kind of leggy and weak without the CO2.
    The plants in pots in bare tanks is an old 1950's kind of set up that breeders used that I always liked. I think it looks kind of cool and is so flexible. I have pots of swords, crypts, Val, chain sword, aponogetons, plus anubias and java fern on driftwoodwood and java moss and floating plants everywhere. It's a real jungle [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] . The swords love the pots. I have one type of stem plant in pots. It's a kind of hygrophilia with 6 inch long really thin leaves. It grows great.
    I think I know the red algae you mean. It comes on my glass if I get behind on water changes or if I have been feeding alot or leaving the light on too long. It's ugly.
    That's good that the temp. went down and then up. That's the trigger. Doesn't always work but it can.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use to raise kribs and when I was doing it I was told kribs prefered brackish water. I can't remember the exact amount of salt, but it was half the strength of salt water. I had generations of kribs until I got bored. I used 10 gal. tanks for breeding. So if you continue to have problems, you might try adding some salt( sea salt of course) good luck Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi D muscipula,

You might want to check out the webpage of a friend of mine. He specializes in the west african cichlids like kribs. The site is < http://blackwater.50megs.com/ >. It is named Ariel's Blackwater Tributary. He lives in your area -- MA. Ever shop at Uncle Ned's tropical fish store? It has a webpage and is suppose to have cool stuff.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks biggun. That website doesn't really have much info, but some good pics. I've heard about the legendary Uncle Ned's, but i'm footbound, so i haven't made it there before.

I have an aponogeton in my tank that just doesn't want to be healthy. The leaves turn brown and die soon after they are produced (you can see them in the photo here). Do you use a fertilzer for your plants?

Here are a couple newer, cool (if fuzzy) pics of the kribs and a new neon pink plant i picked up:

And some GOOD NEWS! The female Krib is only leaving her new cave briefly today, to grab a bite. I'm hoping that means she's guarding eggs! Wahoo!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi D muscipula,

That's a good sign [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img] . Judging from the pictures, the Kribs look to be in breeding dress. The male is especially nice. Is the male guarding the surrounding area?
    The pink plant does well with CO2 and lots of light. I forget what genus it is. Telanthera, I think.
    That's weird the Apon. ulvaceus won't grow. They are usually pretty easy but its leaves are easily damaged. The snails may be getting its fine leaves. It needs fertilizer -- liquid iron based for the leaves. I like Dupla24 the best. It seems expensive but isn't when you consider how little you use and I only use it like 3 times a week, not daily as recommended. Ulvaceus likes alot of light but is very forgiving about water chemistry. The fertilizer will help the plants outgrow the algae.
    Let me know how the Kribs do.
    Nice Anubias flower. I have one flowering now too.
    I just got 2 new swordtail/platy species. One is Xiphophorus malinche and the other is a cool little platy with a tiny sword on the male -- X. xiphidium. They are hiding now. I hope they settle in well. The platy turns purple when mature with barring.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Quote (biggun110 @ May 08 2003,11:37)
    [/QUOTE]
    Judging from the pictures, the Kribs look to be in breeding dress.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. The thing is, they've looked like this for weeks - this pic was taken more than a week ago! Well, i'm not complaining!!!

Is the male guarding the surrounding area?[/QUOTE]
    That depends. Does "surrounding area" mean the whole tank? He's sure become aggressive!

That's strange about the plants. I have been adding drops with chelated micronutrients, a la PMDD (but without the macronutrients) since the Apon. started shedding its leaves so rapidly, thinking iron deficiency was the problem. It hasn't really helped, so lately in "panic", i've been adding rather unscientific doses of macronutrients as well, which is probably the reason for the huge growth of black algae. The plants, however, still seem to be lacking something. The pink plant has the same brownish-dull cast to its pink that the apon. leaves have before they die. It's not the same look as the "faded" chlorolysis (sp?) from before i started adding iron, it's a brown cast to the entire leaf.

I really would like to figure out what's wrong. I tried the CO2 to see if that would help, but it obviously hasn't gotten to the root of the problem (no pun intended).

So, do you only add iron, then?

I didn't realize Platies were so variable and colorful. I guess the ones seen in LFS tanks are typically the "garbage" varieties - the cape sundews, if you will - of the genus. Not that they aren't nice, just common.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi D muscipula,

Oh, you have a stud [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] . The whole tank. I had a Pel. subocellatus male once take over an entire 55 gallon when the pair spawned. He was #### on wheels. I bet a krib could be just as bad.
    Hmmm. That is weird on the plants. Did the ulvaceus still have its bulb when you bought it? Did you plant it too deeply? Is the water overly warm where it is at? If it fails, try Apon. crispus, bovinianus or longiplumulosus. They are easy and big. If you look in the "mystery bulb" bowl at the LFS, the long dark hairy bulbs are crispus and the round lighter colored bulbs are ulvaceus. Do the floaters cut the light on the ulvaceus? Are the light bulbs over 18 months old? If nothing works, you might try hard alkaline water. Core problems for me or always lack of good light or the wrong water chemistry.
    I use Dupla drops about 3 times a week and Plant Tabs about every 2-3 months. I have heavily stocked tanks and I feed alot so there is alot of natural fertilizer
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] . The one time I had a problem tank it turned out the lights were 3 years old. When I loose crypts or Val., it means I am way behind on water changes.
    Yeah, wild type livebearers are cool. They are not always as flashy as the hybrids but some are. Montezumae swords have swords twice as long as the body so a good male, with sword, can be 8 inches long. They also have big round dorsal fins that are covered in black spotting. Nezzie swords are sky blue with a curved orange sword and a huge yellow dorsal fin. I have a little guppy-like livebearer called Phalloceros caudimaculatus reticulatus that is naturally yellowish gold with lots of black dots. They are hardy, peaceful and prolific.
    What do you plan on feeding the babies?

Bobby

9. Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast