Thread: A loss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Hi All,

My female Xiphophorus signum died today
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] . Signums are a species of very large green swordtails. They can reach 7 inches. The males have very short (1") swords that are lemon yellow with black borders. The species is called the "comma swordtail" because both sexes have what looks like a big black comma in the lower third of their caudal fins. I had 3 males and this big female from fry I raised. The female gave birth yesterday and I saved 18 fry. Today she died. I guess it was due to problems with giving birth as she seemed to have alot more babies inside her. She was a beautiful 4 inch fish and only 9 months old.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    biggun, sorry to hear about your loss, sounds like she was bound up and couldn't birth the rest of the babies.

Hopefully, you will get a new female out of all the fry.

Good luck friend!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Hi Ram,

Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] . I think you are right. She was bound up. It happened a few years ago with this great red hi fin lyretail female sword I had. She had dropped 2 huge batches of fry (200+ each) but the third one was just too much for her. I think I feed too much protein and cause the females to carry too many and too large of fry sometimes. I hate it when it happens as I always feel guilty. I had let a friend keep these and he let all but the 4 adults die so I am trying to keep the species going. They came from the big cancer research center they have at Southwestern State in San Marcos. It is called the Xiphophorus Center and it keeps all the species and locations of swords and platies and breeds them for use in cancer research. They cross certain species to get tumors!
    Its been going since the 1930's. They have 1500 tanks. Theyhave a huge webpage. Just search for Xiphophorus Center. I think it's a <.org> address.

Thanks friend,
    Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Biggun, you know I actually live about 25 minutes drive form San Marcos?
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi RamPuppy,

Yeah, I remembered you said you lived near San Antonio. You should go check out the Xiphophorus Center at the school if you get a chance. I think they are pretty good about letting hobbyists see it with prior notification. I found more fry this morning -- 24 total now [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome, you have a very good chance of getting a few females out of that batch.

Have you been to Critters and Things in San Marcos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Sorry about your loss, I know what it feels like, I never thought I would get attacehd to a fish, but I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Ram and Spec,

Thanks Spec. It's fuuny how attached one gets to fish but then fish are very smart and behave just like humans. Example. I just moved a bunch of lyretail swordtails into a big tank from several smaller tanks. The last 2 days the swords that "knew" one another before have been hanging together like buds.

No, Ram, never been there. I haven't been to SM in a long time. We used to collect darters and Texas Cichlids in the river -- along with all those great plants. Of course, San Antonio has the best sailfin mollies in the river -- huge and colorful. The last time I was there and was bent over looking at the male mollies displaying and a pigeon dropped a load on my head! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Bobby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast