What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta fish compatability

• Thread starter ninja
  • Start date
Hi,
I was thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank for my betta fish(It's a male) and was wondering what other creatures I should put in it that go good with betta fish. I was thinking about adding ghost shrimp and some sort of cleaning fish so I won't have to clean the tank so much.

Also whats the average price for an air-rater(spl?) that would fit a 10 gallon tank

Thanks

Ahh, the thought of keeping betta even if just one, in a larger tank with other communal fish. Such a nice thought.
smile.gif
Good luck btw, betta like people can just have a bad disposition. You would want to pick something that doesn't have anything frilly that would catch the betta's eye. Fancy guppies are a good example of what not to put with betta.
wink.gif

You really have to make sure your betta isn't stressed and stays well fed. Make sure you have a lot of plants in the tank so there are place for any of the fish to hide in incase they see fit. The betta shouldn't have really been in the presence of other male betta's before if possible. This makes them...hmmm...ornry? I guess that's the word.

Other than the fact that the betta might just attack anything that moves in the tank, any non-intimidating fish would do. Some people have had success with oto's, some with corey's (sp?). Some people put them in with mollies for some odd reason. Something that's very non-aggressive, and not too flashy, or with flowing fins.

The betta might go after a shrimp or vise versa depending on the size. Especially with a veil tail betta, they are very easy to catch on to, and tear their fins easily.

Just remember, lots of plants and hiding spots, well fed fish, perfect water.
smile.gif
The less stress, the less chance of the fish attacking one another.

Hmm, as far as an airator...hmm, an average pump will cost under $20 for a 10 gallon, a few bucks for an airstone. I'd suggest just spending the money on a decent filter. For a 10gal tank, you're looking at probably under $40. The most expensive part of the tank setups is usually the hood, for freshwater anyway.

Hope this helps.

You're more than welcome. I love these fish. Just don't be dissapointed if you put them together with anything else and someone gets attacked.
wink.gif

Remember, they're born and raised naturally in a puddle, sometimes no bigger than a coffee mug and half as deep. Having that space to themselves is survival.

I expiremented with this some.. It seems that bettas don't like fish that are roughly the same size as themselves (they probably think it is another male). Mine practically killed a school of goldfish..
sad.gif

Back