Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know this bottom feeder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trashcan,
    I've been putting a lot of decors to help them hide, including plastic castles, and those rock with the hollow holes, in the middle, but I have never seen them use them, and now i'm beginning to think they are for decoration. But if I look hard and think if I was a fish, I would say it is a very nice place to hide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trashcan:

You haven't actually tried keeping live plants with him, have you? I shudder to think what a pl*co must do to plants!

Beautiful pl*co! Do you have a breeding pair? That would be the coolest!
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get a very fast growing plant, or maybe a bunch of fast growing plants, like the amazon sword plant, he will be overwhlemed with plants to feed, and he will likely only nibble on one at a time, giving each time to re cooperate and produce more leaves [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Just curious, why is pleco blepped out with the * in it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Unforunately, no I don't have a breeding pair. My freshwater skills aren't very advanced, so it's probably for the best. From what I have read, Plecos don't breed in captivity very often (but I could be wrong). Also, this variety is a bit expensive, so I will be happy with just one for now. :)

As for live plants, YES! I just purchased some live plants recently to help hide my baby guppies. Suprisingly, live plants are cheaper than plastic. Not sure why a plastic plant needs to cost $10.00, but... I'm not buying it. :). I currently only have some small Java Ferns. They have been in there for about a day, and seem OK so far. I have high powered lights, so hopefully they will grow. I am looking into getting some floating plants, they should survive any attacks. :)

And about "pl*co," many people think that writing out the full name is bad luck, and censor it to help their beloved bottom feeders from any misfortunes.

And dkim: My pleco _lives_ in that castle. He only comes out at night, and scurries back to it if he sees me walkng around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little late...

but wanted to say what a beauty that is... (My favorite pleco is the bushy nose.. so cute.)
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at the last Boston Aquarium Society meeting, and some old guy (sorry, i know he's the reigning expert on plecos, but i forgot his name [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] ) gave an awesome presentation entitled "Fancy Catfish" complete with lots of slides from habitat.

One reason that his 'gold nugget' might be more yellow than yours is that there are actually many species that are called 'gold nugget'. Many haven't even been named, but are given an 'L' number to at least have some way to identify them. Many different 'L' numbers are sold as gold nugget.

The Brazilians that catch those plecos for a living catch all sizes (by hand, usually), but it's just too expensive to ship any over about 6"... so those all go in the pot! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img] Apparently they're good eating.

RamPuppy: Cute? Yeah, i guess they're cute - they're so ugly they're cute. I had a breeding pair, but some kid cranked up the heater in my tank and they got cooked before i knew what was going on.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, did you find out if they were good eating after that??

SF [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    darn kids...

I just recovered a 35 gallon oceanic hex from my family's barn/shed and found it has a leak along the upper rim... nothing I can't fix... but annoying... I know it leaks because it was lugged around by the plastic frame at the top...

Fume....

oh well... I am thinking I am going to put my metal halide on it, put in some plants, and start up a small fresh water planted tank... it's been a while... and with halides, well, they are gorgeous tanks...
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast