What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The good news...

My kribs have been stubbornly refusing to breed since i got them six months ago.  Then, last month, i moved to a new place and inherited the larger 70 gallon aquarium.  Instead of being stressed by the move, the kribs seemed to like it, because a couple weeks later... i came home to find a mass of little squirming krib fry following their parents around.  

Wahoo!

It's really neat to see how the parents protect them - they protect them so much that the rest of the fish are hiding in terror up in the floating weeds.

Here's what they looked like on September 5th:
20030905-AQ-Kribensis-first fry-small.jpg

They've grown up a lot since then, and now they swim around a bit more on their own.  It's hard to count, but there are still more than 20!  Anybody in Boston area wants a couple kribs, give me a shout.

More pics coming soon!

Hi D muscipula,

Congrats on the long awaited kribensis fry. The parents look great! I bet you are having a ball watching all their antics. I love it when they put them to bed. Too bad about the puffers.

Bobby

CONGRATULATIONS!
alien.gif
Now all you have to do is take updated pictures of them!
biggrin.gif

I'll be taking some more shots now - the fry are pretty aggressive little tykes now...

i guess they get it from their father, who killed the mother a few days ago.
mad.gif
mad.gif
icon13.gif

I just hope at lease one is a female. So much for my first success at breeding fishes.
sad.gif

Oh boy... I should have told you... after the female lays eggs, you should separate the male from her. the male often either eats the eggs, fry, or kills the female
sad.gif
mad.gif

How are they doing?

Here's another pic of the fry with their daddy from Sept. 5th, when they were around 5 days old (assumed):
20030905-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry%20and%20male-five%20days.jpg

Here they are with their mother (RIP) at two weeks:
20030913-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry%20and%20female-two%20weeks.jpg

And here's a closeup at two weeks:
20030913-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-two%20weeks.jpg

Tank shot at 16 days:
20030916-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)-pair%20and%20fry%20at%2016%20days-microsorium,%20anubius,%20cryptocorne,%20echinodorus.jpg

The recent pics are in the increasingly inaccurately named 'growlist' thread. I've pasted the portion here:

Here are some pics of my krib fry. I recently added the red/blue betta female, and the krib seemed a bit confused. They follow her around like she's momma (since their real mother is dead), but when she turns around, they realize she ain't and they scatter (Augh! Run for your life!). It always seems like the confusion is going to end in violence at any moment.

Them following her like a bunch of street punks:
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Krib%20street%20gangs.jpg

Are you my mother?
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Are%20you%20my%20mother%203.jpg

Them running away
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Are%20you%20my%20mother.jpg

The fry up close at ~9 weeks:
20031025-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-9%20weeks.jpg

And here is one of the last pics i have of the "happy" couple together, before the heartbreak of domestic abuse raised its ugly head.

20030904-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)-happy%20couple%20amidst%20the%20valisneria.jpg

Back