Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bought a new cichlid, red devil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I recently purchased a very agressive and mean Red Devil Cichlid fish. I put him in a 15 gallon plastic aqaurium box type thing. I dont care if he wont get very big in it, I dont want him to grow big, as he will only grow as big as his terrarium allows him from what I know about fish. Hes got a air filter thing, that blows bubbles into the water, the bottom is filled with multicolored smooth stones, hes got some fake plants and a coral reef den thing. Yesterday I fed him a small feeder fish that he swallowed whole. I need some tips on how to keep him! I dont know about all these PH level stuff, I dont think he needs it? I just need help! Please!
    "That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee"
    -Little shop of horrors.

"Now, this thing smells like ****!"
    -College proffeser smelling my corpse plant.
    ^Just thought id put that in there, it was pretty funny when he said it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote (Trapsrock @ June 08 2003,09<!--emo&[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img])
    I recently purchased a very agressive and mean Red Devil Cichlid fish. I put him in a 15 gallon plastic aqaurium box type thing. I dont care if he wont get very big in it, I dont want him to grow big, as he will only grow as big as his terrarium allows him from what I know about fish. Hes got a air filter thing, that blows bubbles into the water, the bottom is filled with multicolored smooth stones, hes got some fake plants and a coral reef den thing. Yesterday I fed him a small feeder fish that he swallowed whole. I need some tips on how to keep him! I dont know about all these PH level stuff, I dont think he needs it? I just need help! Please![/QUOTE]
    Don't mean to burst your bubble, but your not near ready for red devils. a 15 gallon tank is WAY too small, and it will outgrow it, the saying that they only grow as big as their tank is false, they'll just be stunted in growth. feeder fish are not good for food, feeder guppies are better. Yes he needs the ph to be level, it's one of the most important things. FYI, you cant just get a fish and put it in a tank! you should set up the tank first and get the biological bacteria going! the P.H. should be 6.0-7.5. try to get the ammonia levels as lowa s possible. And most of all, I would return that fish to the petstore, and get a bigger tank before getting a red devil. they're social fish from what I've heard, get 2 females and a male, and a 55 gallon fish tank.
    IOW, research before you get a fish, or any living thing
    NRN
    -Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi Trapsrock,

Red Devils are pretty cool. Spec is right though, he or she will soon out grow that 15 gallon tank. Devils get to be a foot long. They are intensely territorial and highly aggressive. Sorry to say, Spec, but Devils are not very social. They will kill one another and even bonded pairs are touch and go. This is just a bad *** fish. I agree with Spec that guppies are better than goldfish or rosies for food. Earthworms are the best. Big insects are great -- crickets are good. Pellets are always good and have alot of the food stuff the fish need.
    Spec is right, the tank needs to cycle. Was it already set up before you got the fish? Did it have fish in it for a while -- at least 6 weeks? If not, watch the ammonia and nitrite levels very closely and do at least a 50% water change once a week -- or more often if the chemistry gets bad or the water gets foggy. It can kill him or her.
    I don't worry about pH for most fish -- unless you have East African cichlids and soft acid tap water. They will die in soft acid water. Most fish will adjust to most water within reason. A red devil can be happy in water from 6 to 8 pH and from soft to hard. If your water is reasonable don't worry about it. If he or she is happy now the water is ok pH and Hardness wise.
    Oh, he or she likes alot of gravel to move around and a cave structure to live in. Devils dig pits.

So watch for ammonia and nitrite; keep him alone; think about alot more room; feed; change some water often and be careful he doesn't bite you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill give you the full run down, I filled it to about half with natural spring water, I filled the bottom with washed stones and plants with a den. He is in a 15 gallon, and I do know alot about him, and I consider that an insult spec, by saying FYI, you cant just get a fish and put it in a aquarium because I didint! That was extremely rude to say. Hes in a 15 gallon with a water filter thing, he has no water cleaner filter thing, and I talked to the pet guy for like a hour about cichlids when I bought him, there not social, they kill everything, I feed him fully gut loaded feeder fish, that have been eating highly nutrious exspensive food. Im trying to train him on flake food, but he wont eat it. I just need some tips, not a FYI, you need to research before hand...rude.
    &quot;That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee&quot;
    -Little shop of horrors.

&quot;Now, this thing smells like ****&#33;&quot;

Quote (biggun110 @ June 09 2003,01:18)
    Hi Trapsrock,

Red Devils are pretty cool. Spec is right though, he or she will soon out grow that 15 gallon tank. Devils get to be a foot long. They are intensely territorial and highly aggressive. Sorry to say, Spec, but Devils are not very social. They will kill one another and even bonded pairs are touch and go. This is just a bad *** fish. I agree with Spec that guppies are better than goldfish or rosies for food. Earthworms are the best. Big insects are great -- crickets are good. Pellets are always good and have alot of the food stuff the fish need.
    Spec is right, the tank needs to cycle. Was it already set up before you got the fish? Did it have fish in it for a while -- at least 6 weeks? If not, watch the ammonia and nitrite levels very closely and do at least a 50% water change once a week -- or more often if the chemistry gets bad or the water gets foggy. It can kill him or her.
    I don't worry about pH for most fish -- unless you have East African cichlids and soft acid tap water. They will die in soft acid water. Most fish will adjust to most water within reason. A red devil can be happy in water from 6 to 8 pH and from soft to hard. If your water is reasonable don't worry about it. If he or she is happy now the water is ok pH and Hardness wise.
    Oh, he or she likes alot of gravel to move around and a cave structure to live in. Devils dig pits.

So watch for ammonia and nitrite; keep him alone; think about alot more room; feed; change some water often and be careful he doesn't bite you [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Bobby[/QUOTE]
    They're not social? really? I'll have to remember that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] \
    Trapsrock, I didn't think you would take FYI insulting. I meant something more along the lines of, "IMHO" [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]
    Biggun, you really otta be a moderator in the fish forums! You know everything about them, and BTW I bought my pacus some green grapes! Let's see if they take it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    -Spec

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYi is not rude to say , its just what people say to get other peoples attention . anyways try these 2 website , www.predatoryfish.net which is a forum like this and www.kingsoftheaquarium.com which will tell you baout red evils . " I dont care if he wont get very big in it, I dont want him to grow big, as he will only grow as big as his terrarium allows him from what I know about fish. " , now thats cruel , he will grow very big and soon your gonna have to get him a really big tank . i grow arowanas and soon i'll need a 300 gallon tank for this lil guy . try to convert him to carnivorous flake food , r=feeder are not really good for them .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trapsrock,

Spec was not being rude, I think you just took it that way because he doesn't like the fact you are knowingly keeping a fish in a tank that will stunt it.

You are misinformed if you think that is humane, the stunting of a fish causes abnormal growth in some organs, and causes them to litterally, become internally deformed. Not only that, imagine if you had to live out your entire life in a 10 by 10 room? That is more room for you than your giving this fish.

Also, and I am not putting words in anyones mouth here, but perhaps Spec felt he needed to educate you because you use terms like 'water filter thing' and not what your actually using, useful info would be, 'I am using an emperor 400 power filter'. by calling neccessary and important parts of your setup 'things' you make us think you don't know what your talking about, thus, the people here who want to help think they need to give you more extensive knowledge than your asking for. Remeber, all we know about you is what you write.

That being said, it sounds like you know about your fish, and your started in the right direction. (Except for the tank size, which needs to be upgraded as the fish grows, if he's small, then 15 is fine for now, but you will need to grow with him, or trade him when he gets to big.)

Ok... weaning him off live food.

I know it sounds cruel, but a little starvation can go a long way. obviously don't take it to far, but you gotta be stronger than him.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, im on the right track now, hes out of the nasty crud I had him in, I went out today and bought a all in one 50 dollar set up thing. Its a 10 gallon aquarium with a water filter and air filter built into one, the bottom is filled with rocks, and he has some greenery. The lid came with HOT HOT HOT lights, which he is tropical so I think he enjoys it. The water is very clean, and tiny bubbles are everywhere. In his old plastic box thing, he wasnt swimming, he was dieing, he was basically intoxicating himself. The PH levels of the water are around 6.0-7.0 as the aquarium came with a ph tester. I fed him anther feeder and he swallowed it whole. Im trying to train him on flakes, but he kept spitting them out. Dont go all huffy thinking 10 gallons is really tiny, but I took some sloppy measurements and heres what they came out to be:
    The Red Devil is around 2 inches from bottom to dorsal fins when there down.
    Hes around 5 inches long.
    Hes less than an inch thick.

I told the aqaurium person this, and he immediatly pointed to a 10 gallon kit, that had everything included for 50 dollars. He told me to grab some new greens because the old stuff could be contaiminated, and 3 bags of multi colored stones. The man also told me that once he is about half the 10 gallon long, that I must upgrade to a 20-30 gallon immediatly or he could die from stress. He picked out a select-a-meal thing, tropical fish flakes, it has Breakfast, Lunch, and dinner built in with a treat built in to, it swivles around. There little pellets. He looks so much happier, before he was staying in a corner and not moving, now hes swimming everywhere.
    &quot;That guy looks like pant food, toooo meeee&quot;
    -Little shop of horrors.

&quot;Now, this thing smells like ****&#33;&quot;

9. Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast