What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing aquatic plants

I read that you just put the aquatic plants under the gravel, but how do you make the plants grab onto something, are you suppose to use a special soil mixture? Which is the best effective to grow aquatic plants?

Elgecko, ur aquarium is fantastic =D. Hopefully mine will be as bueatiful as yours. I'm trying to set up a tank right now with neon tetras and some tiger barb, and at the bottom some corys. But I'm afraid they might not do well together. Tiger barb are agressive and likes to hang out in school, while neon tetras are communitive in the tropical areas. I think they also hang out in groups. I wanted to use gravel for my substrate, but i'm afraid gravel might damage the barbs on the cory. So now, I have to change my whole design of my aquatic life. I want a pretty arrangment of fishes, that do well in the breeding section, so I can have little frys running around =D.

Yes, the barbs will kill the neons, neons are schooling, and the fry swiming around is a dream that can not be fofiled unless you raise chiclids or other maternal fish. What size of tank do you plan on?

I have a 55 gallon tank, I trying to cycle the water right now, I have a set up of swordtail, zebra danios, neon tetras, and coryies. I want to set up some discus, but they might out grow the tank.

DKiM128,

Thanks.
I hope your plant will grow good for you.
You could put 5 discus in your tank. I looked into getting some a while ago. They say 10 gallons per fish. A taller tank, is better then a long tank. They can be picky about water quality. A ph of 6 - 6.5 is ideal.

If i put 5 dicus in the tank, then I wouldn't be able to put in my danios, neon tetras, and swordtail, and cory. If i have enough money for another tank, I might have 2 pairs of dicus hopefully they both will breed, and a pleco at the bottom maybe two =D. But then, the tank might look empty so I'm trying to figure some things out.

elgecko, my willow cuttings are starting to grow!

haha, that was so random =D

discus should not be mixed with other fish!

Back