User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite fresh water fish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I pretty much told you about my arrowanas! I can't think of much else to say! They are definately only a fish for the experienced.

Biggun,

Severums are pretty cool? What do you think of Parrot fish? I know there is a lot of controversy over their cross breeding severums with.. um... is it a red devil? I can't remember!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi RamPuppy,

I am not a big fan of Parrot Cichlids or the newer Flowerhorns. There is something about hybridizing animals as opposed to plants that just seems wrong. Plants often become stronger and nicer and grow well; whereas, fish seem to become deformed and have to struggle to live. That said, Parrots are cute -- almost cartoon-like -- and Lord knows people love them. I think they are a cross between gold severums and red devils. Now I hate that they die alot of fish -- like Parrots -- and/or feed them hormones for color. These actions IMHO harm the fish and hurt the hobby.
    Two hybrids that seem to come out strong are Texas Cichlids crossed with either Jack Dempseys or Convicts. The "Texas Jacks" are gorgeous and stong and the "Texas Convicts" have great body patterns.
    Of course, all colorful platies, swords and mollies are the result of hybridizing several species of each and then breeding the desired color back to the parent with the desired original shape -- i.e. red or "rubra" wild platies crossed with wild green swords in the 1920's to get red swordtails. The hybrid fry were crossed back to swords to make hybrid red swordtails that looked like 100% swordtails -- even though they had platy color genes.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, i have to say i really like my FW puffers, but they're gradually fading away because i can't keep enough snails to feed them. (Unlikely as that may sound, i know). One more died last week. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

OTOH, i miss not being able to keep any tetras. I really would like a school of neons or cardinals.

The kribs i got this year are something new to me, but i really like their coloration. Now if only they would breed... and stop being such big bullies (yea, right [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Kuhli Loaches were a favorite of mine for years growing up, but you never get to see them.

Cherry barbs are beautiful.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi D muscipula,

Sorry to hear about your puffers. You might ask your local store if you could catch any little snails out of their tanks. Some stores are happy to get rid of them and let you have them. You could set up a 2 gallon snail bowl and feed them lettuce or flakes and see how many snails you could grow.

Cherry Barbs sure are beautiful.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggun,

I toatally agree... if the cross results ina stronger animal that will stay in the trade and not be released where it does not belong, I guess I really don't have a problem with it. I do however think that when you have to cull 90% of a hatch because it's deformed and won't make it because of an artificial practice, that your playing a little to close to heaven if you get my drift.

I absolutely HATE the injection of inks and dies into fish, when I was a kid I had some painted glass fish, and I when I was older, and understood a little more what was going on I was appauled, every one of those fish I ever owned died because a cancerous growth would grow on it's fins and weight it so it couldn't swim. It angers me that such a naturally amazing fish is not good enough for some, had they not been painted, I would have bought them, and probably loved them more for their near invisible look.

D Muscopula,

On your snail problem... I would suggest that immediately you run to all the local fish stores and get as many of their snails as possible, most will probably give them to you, as they would consider it a service to be rid of them. I would then set up a breeder tank, evens omething as small as a 5 gallon with a simple sponge filter in it would be enough, and get'em in there. Feed some to your fish right away so they can eat and be healthy, but preserve the rest for breeding stock. Many species breed in the gravel, so you'll want some of that, and you can just throw blanched romaine, spinach, green beans, and other goodies in there to feed them, fish food for mulm is good too, snails eat anything they can get in their mouths usually. (my apple snails think repeatedly that chewing on my silk plants in the goldfish tank is just a grand idea&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Now, another option, one I am not sure is even a good idea, is to look into getting some snails called Sea Bunnies. You will of course have to setup a small salt water tank, with a little live rock, and observe the minimums for keeping a saltwater tank. Buy a couple of seabunnies, puttem in there, and watch... they are called bunnies for a reason, we are talking, multiple breeding sessions a day! I don't know if there is a freshwater equivalent, but it there is, it's a much better choice.

I also just did a google search and found this on a freshwater puffer site.

Recommended Diet. Tetra Freeze Dried Blood Worms and Freeze Dried Shrimps, Frozen and Live Brine Shrimp, live Ghost Shrimp, and an occasional treat of a few live Black Worms. Click here for more information about Black Worms.

the link 'here' would be this URL.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...worms.htm#top2

I hope that saves your fish buddy!
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite fresh water fish is a Japanese Koi. I did keep them in an aquarium when they were very young, but they now live in a pond. In addition to being good looking fish, you can train them to eat out of your hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, everyone

I have to say that my very favorite fish is the Neon tetra, it's small and common but very beautiful. They mesmerize me every time I see a shoal. (nearly all my passwords for different things is Neon Tetra)

Other fish I love are:

1. Bumble bee gobies
    2. White clouds (regular and golden)
    3. Silver dollars
    4. Rosy barbs
    5. Gold tetras
    6. Red eye tetras
    7. Black neon tetras
    8. Hillstream Loaches
    9. Red tail sharks
    10. Goldfish (common and fancy)
    11. Least killifish (Heterandria Formosa)
    12. Endler's livebearers
    13. Bronze corys
    14. Neon blue rainbowfish
    15. Collie Loaches
    16. Figure 8 puffers
    17. Glowlight tetras
    18. Dwarf gourami
    19. Platys (Red painted and Red wagtails)
    20. Zebra Danios

Of course there are many more but I have to run now, Later L.A. Trap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine are
    coolie loach(acanthophthalmus kuhlii)
    arowana (osteoglossum and scleropages spp.)
    feshwater stingray(potamogytron spp.)
    black ghost knife(apteronotus albifrons)
    ornate bichir(Polypterus ornatus)
    Giant gorami(osphronemus goramy)
    lungfish(any)
    I have never kept any of the fish above. I am looking for the arowanas and lungfish the most.
    Paradise found is paradise lost
    -The Future Of Life
    The world is just big enough for us to not realize how small it really is.

Change is the only thing constant.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast