User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite fresh water fish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a pretty frequent problem that the females spit out the fry prematurely, at least that's what I've heard from people who have tried to breed them. Once you can get a male and female to spawn, getting the female to hold them without her getting stressed out and spitting them out is the next big hurdle.

Foods can be tough. I kept one group that ate flake...another wouldn't eat anything but live California blackworms. They're a high-maintenance fish, but if you can provide a few simple requirements, they are actually pretty hardy.

When the dominant males (I call them "bulls") color up, they do look really nice--the red is incredible and the gold really shimmers when the browns get darker. Man, I miss keeping this fish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (skylsdale @ Nov. 15 2003,6:56)]I think my preferences come down to why I keep aquaria. I don't consider tanks and fish as "pets" whereas many people do. I don't name my fish. I like to see animals in their natural habitat--this goes beyond taller plants along the back and corners, shorter ones up front, and a stylish piece of driftwood somewhere. I want to replicate their natural habitat as closely as possible, and then see how they fit in and interact with that habitat. I don't want a tank with fish--I want a sliver of that specific habitat. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Problem is, if i don't keep a community tank, i don't have many options.
    What do you mean by that? There are TONS of options out there as far as biotope tanks you can do, they just usually aren't laid out for people to follow.
    I agree completely with the first part. My GF asks why i don't name them, and i tell her it just seems strange. I hate the gaudy tank ornaments, the bright blue gravel.

What i meant by that is that i have a lot of different fish i'm interested in, and if i didn't keep a community tank, i'd have to keep just one or two species. I am moving away from the community tank (to a large extent a "beginners" setup IMO) to more targeted stocking, especially after seeing my Amazon Puffers beat up on the otos and other fish, or the Kribs terrorize everything else in the tank to the point of multiple deaths.

I want to get started with killies, and hope to get some at the BAS meeting tomorrow night. I can keep them in smaller tanks and therefore have more than just one species. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I LOVED the biotope tanks at the Boston Aquarium. The Amazon one had swarms of tetras and a big boa. It would be neat to set something like that up (minus the boa!). Someday...
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi D,

Speaking of killies, you should see my 3 wild caught pairs of Fundulopanchax fallax (fifinda location). They are outstanding. I have never really cared for fallax and most reference books picture gulare as fallax as the true fallax was not re-imported until the late 1970's but this location is stunning. The males come in 2 color morphs -- a greenish yellow body and a brilliant orange body. The caudal is enormous and the body is also covered in maroon markings. The pectoral fins are solid yellow or orange outlined in heavy black. These guys get to be 3 inches. My largest is 2 and 1/2 inches. They eat like pigs and are not too aggressive in the plant stuffed 30 I have them in. They are bold. I can't wait to start collecting eggs. I think they have a 6 week incubation period in damp peat but I have to check. I hope they prove prolific.
    I have been rearranging my fish room today as I got a great new (to me) work table. I had to move my old table back to the southern window as my orchids are not growing new leaves where they are now and did great in this old location. That meant tanks had to be moved. My room is back up to 21 tanks. And to think I was going down to ONE tank 3 months ago! Ugh!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Cichlids! To be more specific, I love the Convict Cichlid. Although not as stunningly colored as the Electric Blue, the Convict has such a personality! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cardinal tetra and congo tetras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paradise fish are very brilliantly colored, hardy fish.....I've wintered them in ponds outside when the temps dropped to 40 degrees. I've heard stories of them surviving ponds freezing over.

Least killifish(Heterandia formosa) These guys are just to cool. They are little, and watchign them is very interesting.

The main reason many aquarists oppose all hybrids is because of the possibilty of them getting back into the mainstream of the hobby. Like say, the flowerhorn. Baby flowerhorns are difficult to tell apart from baby trimacs. Trimacs are sometimes sold as flowerhorns, and vise versa. IMO Trimacs are much prettier.

But suppose a would be breeder buys some "trimacs". Well at least one of them is a trimac. They are crossed and out come with some fry...that may look odd, or look perfectly normal...if he didn't catch the mistake by then, and takes them to the store...

There you have it!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has mentioned the guppy! I've always liked guppies, dwarf gouramis, pearl leeries, bettas, black arowanas, and lungfish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    arrowanas I will give you, and I will admit that guppies are beautiful and fun to watch. I have (probably to many peoples hatred) found guppies to be an ideal feeder fish for tropical predators, they don't have the cold water fats in them like carp, and are an ideal source of nutrition. Now, before anyone gets fussy... When I keep a predator tank, I usually keep a guppy tank too... I enjoy the guppy tank for what it is... they are gorgeous little fellas and ladies. When a fish gets old, or the population needs to get culled, feeding occurs. Every generation of fish has some fish with congenital defects and so on, and these get culled by EVERY fish nursery (you just don't see or hear about it much.) It's the circle of life ya know?
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast