User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite fresh water fish?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elgecko:They are beautiful discus! On par with the candy apple strains.
    DizzyLizzy: I just noticed you asked a question. They can be aggresive as well as hiding in and amongst leaves and rocks. I have seen both behaviors. How large are yours? I love guppies, too.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimscott thanks.
    Here's a pic of all my discus.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! Just beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

I have ivory monties -- the ones with alot of black spots on the body. I have 15 adults and about 100 fry. I also have 2 populations of nezzies.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could I see any pics? Im really interested in these guys, especially with a 46 gallon bowfront ready for something new soon.

I've heard they arent as prolific and grwo very slow, is that your experience?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

Sorry, no photos here. They look just like the ones "Marlin" always sells on Aquabid. Mine came from Rich Serva in the American Livebearers Association and he got his from "Marlin". I raised the regular unspotted monties for years -- the giant ones "Marlin" also sells. I like the ivory ones better, although I don't understand the name "ivory" as they should be called black spotted. Alot of people have trouble with all forms of montezumae. I never have. Mine all breed like guppies and grow quickly but then I am in Houston so it is warm here which causes faster growth and we have great livebearers' water right out of the tap. I usually end up culling out or trading to stores my extras. If I let them I'd have 500 fry in 6 months. They never stop. I have 5 females producing now. My adults are not even full grown (8 months old) and the fry are everywhere. I haven't seen just how long their swords will get but I should in about 3 more months. My old strain had adult swords that were 5 inches long. You are welcome to some young ones for postage costs. Let it warm up a bit more (April) and I can send them Priority. Will probably cost you around $15-$20 for shipping and returning my box. These would be one inch or so fish that would just be showing the black and would need live baby brine shrimp daily to grow into fine specimens. They sex out at 4 months and start looking good at 6 months. You could have 12-15 if you wanted. They seem to throw more males than females.
    I feed alot of live food, frozen bloodworms, Hikari Micropellets, live baby brine shrimp, etc... so that might contribute to their quick growth. Alot of livebearer breeders rely on dry food and monties need something better to do well. They are a sleek, high energy fish that loves clean water. They are a bit more shy than the related nezzies. I prefer the nezzies as they are so cute but the monties are the classier fish.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed that. Many of them seem to have diverted from Marlins pic to spotted fish. Perhaps X. montezumae 'Inkblot'

Also, would they take frozen baby brine shrimp? That would be easier on me...plus I heard its more nutritous.

Do you still own the old strain too?

Do you happen to know the water params for the waterfall they were collected under? Im guessing they would do well here as my Grandma has had lots of success with X. helleri even doing few waterchanges and following some other myths.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

The black does become fairly solid on the lower back third of the body. The Marlin photo doesn't show it but the females can have a fair amount of black spotting too. The male in the Marlin photo is fully mature, more so than in other photos I have seen. You can tell by the bulk in the male's body.
    Swords all come from relatively hard alkaline water. I don't know the chemistry of the actual location. My water is around 170ppm GH and KH and about 7.8 pH. They love it. They get a 50-70% weekly water change.
    Frozen baby brine shrimp is very expensive when you use it daily and feed a good amount and I do not believe it is as good as the live stuff. If you have to use a substitute, I would use decaped brine shrimp eggs. They are cheap and a good food but the fish don't love them as they do the live guys. It is very easy to hatch the bs eggs with 2 half gallon bottles, some air flow, some rock salt and some epson salt. I can teach you and it will be cheaper in the long run -- and fun. Check out this fantastic company <brineshrimpdirect.com>. But you could use frozen baby brine or even smash up frozen adult brine with a spoon and feed that. Food and water are the keys with fish and people cut too many corners on feeding. You can also raise microworms and grindal worms very easily and cheaply (plastic storage box, peat moss, potting soil and kitten chow). If you want some by April they will be large enough to take adult brine shrimp and chopped bloodworms and with a good flake or tiny pellet food you would be ok. The live baby brine just makes a bigger more colorful healthier fish as monties are danity eaters and like small easy to swallow food.
    No, I discontinued the other monty strain when I got the black spotted ones as I think the spotted ones are so much prettier than the plain ones and they are less shy. The old strain was bigger -- a male with sword could be 8 inches -- but they would go wild and dash everywhere if you walked by the tank. The spotted ones are much much calmer and have all kinds of nice color highlights (green, yellow, blue) the plain ones did not. The spotted also have a higher dorsal and that's one reason I love monties -- that and the long long sword. The spotted ones are smaller than the plain. I bet my biggest male will only be 6 inches with sword. I do have the 2 populations of nezzies though -- one spotted one plain.

Bobby

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast