Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Losses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi FlyTrapGirl, sorry to hear about your loss. But I would be a little concerned. To lose 2 fish in one night is worrying especialy a Bronze cory, these fish live for YEARS I have heared of over 10, and females grow to over 2 inches (I have seen nearly 3inch females), males about 1.5-2inches.

You also lost a danio from bloat. I would think something is not quite right with your tank. Fish can be "happy" in a tank even when something is wrong. It is simply a case of survival of the fittest.

What filtration do you run on your tank, what do you feed your fish and what time of day did your fish pass away.

Another commonly overlooked parameter is Nitrite, this can spike quickly, killing a couple of fish then disapear within hours leaving happy and dead fish. A Nitrite spike can be easily missed and quite dangerous! I am not saying this is the cause but rather to give you an idea of what might have happened.

I dont want to sound like I am giving you a hard time but I would like to help if I can. There is nothing nicer than a tank of happy healthy fish doing thier thing!

George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would strongly suggest bringing a water sample from your aquarium into a compatant fish store and having them test it. I would not recomend adding any more fish to the aquarium until you have found the causes of the deaths. These were not deaths from natural causes!

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Binataboy @ June 30 2003,5:20)
    Hi FlyTrapGirl, sorry to hear about your loss. But I would be a little concerned. To lose 2 fish in one night is worrying especialy a Bronze cory, these fish live for YEARS I have heared of over 10, and females grow to over 2 inches (I have seen nearly 3inch females), males about 1.5-2inches.

You also lost a danio from bloat. I would think something is not quite right with your tank. Fish can be "happy" in a tank even when something is wrong. It is simply a case of survival of the fittest.

What filtration do you run on your tank, what do you feed your fish and what time of day did your fish pass away.

Another commonly overlooked parameter is Nitrite, this can spike quickly, killing a couple of fish then disapear within hours leaving happy and dead fish. A Nitrite spike can be easily missed and quite dangerous! I am not saying this is the cause but rather to give you an idea of what might have happened.

I dont want to sound like I am giving you a hard time but I would like to help if I can. There is nothing nicer than a tank of happy healthy fish doing thier thing!

George[/QUOTE]
    Well, like I said, the Bronze cory was very old and very big.

Filtration: Penguin 330 Bio Wheel Power Filter.

Feeding: on even days: morning and evening meal of Omega One Tropical Fish Flakes. On odd days: morning meal of Omega One Tropical Fish Flakes and evening meal of dried bloodworms and shrimp pellets.

Time of day Cory passed: some time during the night.

Time of day Platy passed: some time during the night.

Time of day Danio passed: some time during late afternoon/early evening

P.S. I'm also getting worried, because I think my little albino cory, Snowflake, passed away also [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] I'm DEFINITELY going to have my aquarium water tested.

Rest in peace, Snowflake.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just got home from the petshop. They were closing, but the guy let me in because I needed to have the water test done [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] . Anyway, he tested the water for Nitrates(or maybe it was Nitrites... I'm not sure...)and said it was high, and that I should feed them a little less, do a 25% water change, and get an airstone. He said that all but one of the fish that died died at night because, at night, there is not as much oxygen being produced, so the high nitrates suffocate the fish, killing them. So sometime today I'm going to do the water change and another time when I have more time, I'm going to either buy an airstone or use one of my old bubblers(if I can find one).

I'll keep you updated,
    FTG
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG,
    how often do you do water changes?
    and how much each time?
    (as part of your regular maintance schedule)

how many fish and what size tank?
    all those factors are important in figuring out what went wrong..

I also think you are probably over-feeding.
    no fish need to be fed twice a day (except very young fry)
    once a day is more than sufficient, and skipping a day completely now and then is also very healthy for your fish!

scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Answers:

Once a month.

Almost all the water.

Two angelfish, one golden longfin giant danio, one glowlight tetra(used to have lots), three female platies, four cories, one otocinclus(I'm planning on getting another), and two dojo loaches.

29 gallon high.

Also, I've heard everywhere by pro fishkeepers that fish should be fed twice a day, only as much as the fish can consume within two minutes. My female betta and my two goldfish(betta and goldfish are in seperate tanks, of course)do fine fed twice a day. Goldfish and betta are both fed just as much as they can consume in a couple minutes. Now that I think of it, it does take a bit longer for the fish in the 29 gallon to eat their food... I'm definitely cutting down on how much I feed them...
    Liquid Plummer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi FTG,

I don't know about nitrates sufficating fish. They would have to be in very high numbers for that much bacteria to be present. Nitrates are not that deadly to freshwater fish. A more regular water change schedule would make a big difference. If you could do 50-75% every 2 weeks and vacuum the gravel well at that time then nitrates would not be a problem.
    I am not a big fan of Penquin filters as sole biological filters as they lack a spray bar to keep their bio-wheels turning. I love Emperor 280's and 400's though because of the spray bar and I would think about adding a 280 to your tank and then in 3 weeks removing the 330 -- giving the 280 time to culture that way.
    Omega foods are excellent foods but the flakes need to be crushed a bit as they are large and some fish do not like them as well as one would hope, so watch the feeding habits. Dried bloodworms are fine for fish that eat them but frozen bloodworms are much much better. I believe in 2 feedings a day. Most fish pick for food all day long but we cannot duplicate that reality in a tank. Feeding fish is tricky to learn. Most people underfeed their fish nowadays due to all the pollution warnings they get. Frozen and live foods leave the least waste when used. I'd stay with 2 feedings a day for adult fish but just be sure they eat it all. Try to learn to feed the fish specifically and not the tank -- as most do. Move to frozen foods if you can and make flakes the treat. Hikari Micropellets is an excellent food and easy to use.
    A few good water changes and gravel vacuumings and some slight food/feeding adjustments and all should be well.

Bobby [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okiedokie!
    Liquid Plummer

9. Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast