Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Aric is the correct spelling. He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ) i've found (Gills). It's cool to live in a place where there are such great societies and stuff.

The fry have grown A LOT in the last two weeks, because i've been feeding more, and several times a day (instead of once or twice). That was due to a conversation with said Aric after the last BAS meeting, when he told me that they should be large enough to sell to him at a month or two of age with proper care. That's when i realized they hadn't had proper care. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] Unfortunately, there are some very greedy SAEs and platies in the tank who tend to (over)eat the food if i feed so frequently, so feeding anything special is kinda pointless because the fry never get to it.

I've noticed that the dorsal fin is the full length of the body on all the fry. Does that mean they're all of the same gender?

If ocelli are the eyespots on the tail and dorsal, the male definitely has them. Where are you at, Nflytrap?

I'll look for the pygmy corys. Sounds really cool! Can you recommend a beautiful species of killies that aren't too hard to keep, and don't require weird stuff like annual dry spells?
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dorsal fin lengthening in the males(the "streamer" as I call em) takes a while to form compared to other traits. Im in CA....However, I may be changing the tank to a native fish tank(or a neza sword tank), so I'll probably be moving the kribs out.

A good killie to start with would be Aplocheilus. panchax. They have blueish grey bodies. The edges of the males fins are lined in black, along with either orange, yellow, or blue. Females lack color in fins.

Aplocheilus lineatus, the golden wonder, is a good choice if you like yellow and black.

Fundulus chrysotus, the golden ear, is a good choice too. The males are either olive green or orange with gold and red spots. The tail fin(and in some, the dorsal and anal fins) of the males are bright red. Females and juvies are slightly duller with gold spots.

The American flag-fish is also a good choice. Males usually have a yellow back ground with red horizontal stripes and green or blue upperparts. Give it a some imagination and its like a little flag. The pupfish like body shape fits the illusion as well.

Btw D. muscipula, is that water clover in the krib pics?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ Nov. 02 2003,10:07)]I think Aric is the correct spelling. He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ) i've found (Gills).
    LOl,

LFs, local fish store

LFs, live fresh sphagnum!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's called glossostigma, but i'm not sure. Perhaps the common name is water clover? In any case, the kribs won't leave the stuff alone, and their constant rooting around below it tends to make it float.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look at pics of those killies and see what i can find around here.
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi D,

On killies I would recommend Fundulopanchax gardneri as the best all time beginner's killie. It is gorgeous, very hardy, lots of personality, easily bred and can get to about 3 inches so it has some size. It will eat small fish like a neon but that's it. Other good beginner killies would be Aphyosemion striatum and Aphy. australe. If you want to try the soil spawners then Simpsonichthys whitei and constanceae are very easy South American species with egg incubation period of 2-3 months. If you like the African annuals try Nothobranchius guentheri or foerschi. They also have 2-3 month peat incubation period for the eggs.
    Killies like quiet water, live or frozen food with some dry food, plants, easy going slow moving tankmates, perfectly covered tanks as they jump, temps between 70-75F, shaded spots and water changes.
    If the gardneri are alone in a tank of soft acid water full of plants babies will just start to appear especially if you feed a little live baby brine shrimp each day.
    If you want a big easy to keep killie I'd try the glorious Blue Gularis Fundulopanchax sjoestedti. They are incredibly beautiful, 5 inches long, tough, smart, will eat small fish at times and easy to breed over peat or spawning mops. They are my favorite killie.
    There are alot of killie guys in your city so you shouldn't have to buy them in a shop. Check out the American Killifish Association webpage <www.aka.org>. They have a listserv called Killitalk you can join that is full of information and you could post a message for local breeders in your area. You might end up with more beginners fish than you know what to do with -- at no cost. Killie guys can be very generous.

Bobby

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Nov. 02 2003,6:02)]
    Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ Nov. 02 2003,10:07)]I think Aric is the correct spelling. He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ) i've found (Gills).
    LOl,

LFs, local fish store

LFs, live fresh sphagnum!
    and LFS, long fibered sphagnum! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/ghostface.gif[/img]

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wooh, here is my fish/aquatic snail growlist..

2 gallon:

1 male betta

29 gallon:

2 Angelfish (one black veil/typical hybrid, as you can faintly see darker stripes on his sides, and one koi/marble hybrid)
    2 female Platties (one mottled one and one 'mickey mouse' variety one)
    2 Glass Cats
    1 YoYo Loach
    3 Cories (cutest things in the world.. two bronzes and one... um... strange-looking, huge one with a gray patch on both eyes and close-packed dark gray spots all over the body... no, not a panda variety)
    2 Ottocinclus
    2 Albino Glowlight Tetras
    2 huge Golden Apple Snails
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123