What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow list

Ok I may be getting a little nuts here. Give me your list of pet fish you keep, shrimp, killafish, snails, frogs, etc
biggrin.gif

1 male Pelvicachromis pulcher (AKA Krib) + >30 fry (+ one female lost to domestic abuse)
2 upside down catfish (syndodontus?)
2 Australian Rainbows
3 asst. platies (+ at least 2 fry)
2 SAEs
2 female Betta splendens (domestic)
5 Rummy-nose tetras
4 Danios
1 Scissor-tail tetra (who masqueraded as a rummy-nose)
some-odd Otocinclus cats (who have an identity crisis and think they're rummy-nose tetras or danios on a regular basis, trying to 'school' with said fish and scaring them to death ;)
<s>1 bala shark</s> (died yesterday RIP
sad.gif
)
2 cherry barbs

Update:
9 huge Neon Tetras
1 Yoyo loach (snail hunter)
2 unknown but fat cory cats
2 (pair) Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Makurdi'

Ambullia
Bacopa
Java fern (2 forms)
Java mass
Riccia
hair grass
Valisneria
Sunset Hygro
Amazon Sword
Penywort AKA Pond penny
foxtail AKA hornwort
Anubias gigantea
utricularias
glossostigma sp?
frogbit
(and hopefully no more duckweed after yet another meticulous purging last night!)
asst unknown plants
....and 1.6 jigatons of snails (of everything but the 'apple' type)

No killies yet, but interested in trying them out.

WOW! what size tank?
wow.gif

Darn snails...there is a snailacide now, you can get it at petsmart... I'm not sure if it is safe for the fish though, it is probably dangerous for any invertabrate
wow.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
ghostface.gif

geeze thats a huge list.
Here's mine

Koi
Some wierd goldfish, that keeps growing
Convicts
Couple oscars
gold nugget pleco
some other type of sticky thing, not sure of the name

my tropical tank is what i prize though
neon tetra
glolite tetra
swordtail
mollies
fancy guppies
coryies
apple snail

bunch of plants, trying to acquire java moss, I wonder why they don't sell this at your local petstore

I think this is my list, I might be leaving some out.

That's a pretty funny list, DKiM128.  
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]some other type of sticky thing
etc.  LOL

Wow.  A gold nugget pleco.  Do you know what L number it is?

My main aim in aquaria right now is breeding.  I'm trying to find some new fish to breed.  I'd also like to get into killies... not a lot of room around here, and they don't need much. 8)

My next goal for breeding fish are Cherry barbs, then Rummy-noses or Neon, and corys.  Gotta get me some cories that i like, first, though.  I'd also like to try bettas.

My main tank is one that i 'inherited' when i moved into the new apartment.  It sits at the second floor landing and is a 75 gallon beauty.
smile.gif
 Only thing in it when i got it was a huge pleco, huge cichlid, and one smaller cichlid who was living on the run to avoid being eaten.  That and gravel full of black sediment that obviously hadn't been cleaned in years.  I moved the old fish out, cleaned, pulled out the nasty, brittle fake plants, cleaned, added plants and my light strip from my 55 gallon, cleaned, and then moved everything from the 55 gallon to the new tank.  The 55 is now my lowland terrarium.

I have a little 10 gallon in my room as a breeder and separate plant tank.

I haven't had java moss grow well for me since i added the brighter PC lights a while back, but there are still fugitive strands winding their way amongst the stem plants.  I can send you some plants.  Are you interested?

I have 8 goldfish in my tank now. I started off with 10 back in 1994. Over the years I lost all but one of the original 10 feeder goldfish I started with to cycle the tank. (the original plan was to stock it with cichlids, but that never happened). Today I have 1 of the original feeders still alive an well in my tank..  and 7 of 10 of the 2nd batch of feeders I got in '98. All of them now live in a full 55 gallon tank with only undergravel filtration (UG filters are powered by 2 Aqua clear 201 powerheads 1 utilizing the Venturi airflow system.. thats it..  no backfilters, or air pumps of any kind)

Steve

I may as well post the fish that were in my 2 most recent tanks:

2 18 inch red bellied pacus
6 neon tetras
1 chinese sucker
1 pleco
2 convict cichlids
3 cherry barbs
2 hatchet fish (used to have 6 but the others died due to ich)
6 ghost shrimp
I can't concentrate right now, i will edit on the rest later LOL
biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

wow.gif

blues.gif

EDIT: here are the rest
1 red male betta
LOL, for some reason i can't remember the rest... there are probably about 3 others...
ghostface.gif

i don't think this topic should be called grow list as we don't grow fish , we raise them , fishlist is a better name
tounge.gif
. heres my list :

silver arowana
3 male bettas
utricularia
duck weed

thats it , if you think thats little , then you have raised a arowana yet , and the bettas crap alot , and everything else is growling like a weed .

Hi All,

I had to cut down on my fish as I am looking for a new job and I got a contract to do a book on Lee Strasberg, so I only have 7 tanks set up -- three 55's, a 58, a 30 and two 29's. I am focused on my livebearers right now. I have a great strain of sailfin mollies that a friend developed in Florida. He went around collecting wild black spotted latipinna mollies in Florida backwaters and bred an aquarium strain from them. Then he crossed these with the big species of sailfin molly from Guatemala -- Poecilia petenensis. Petenensis gets to be 6 inches and the males have a very short black sword on the bottom of the caudal fin. The ones I have are producing tons of fry and the best fry are big with thick bodies and lots of color. They have blue bodies with lots of black spotting and orange in the tail and along the top of the dorsal. The babies are going to be bigger than the parents. They are extremely lively and very hardy. These are the best mollies I have ever had in 30 years of fishkeeping.
I also have a strain veiltail (sometimes called guppytail) mollies. I crossed them with wild male green sailfin mollies (latipinna) from here in Texas and the babies are about 3 inches now and are turning into good fish. The original veiltail fish were farm raised in the Far East and not very good which is why I crossed them with a wild males. I have the young females in with a nice orange bodied black marbled lyretail sailfin male molly. I want to get orange veiltails with black sailfins and big black caudals. I also plan to cross the veils with the Florida mollies to get them even bigger and nicer. I am really into mollies now.
I have a tank of Endler's Livebearers, a guppy like fish that are from a collection a friend made in Venezuela in 1997. The little males are all orange and green and they breed like rabbits.
I have 2 populations of Nezzie swordtails -- Xiphophorus nezahualcoyotl. One is black spotted and the other is all blue. These swordtails are short thick bodied (2 and 1/2 inches)with big rounded yellow dorsal fins and orange swords that are curved upwards. These fish are the most active fish I have ever had -- constantly on the go.
I have a tank of hi fin swordtails that I am trying to improve. I had a great strain 3 years ago with big long wide dorsals that went back past their caudal fins but I lost it. They started throwing little weak fish. I am trying a new line but they are just average so far. A friend sent me a hybrid swordtail between the regular red helleri and the big super long sword Xiphophorus montezumae. I am hoping the genes of the montezumaes will make for a better hi fin sword. Its too early to tell. Plus these hybrids have some fertility problems.
I also have a tank of a new population of pure X. montezumae. I had another population but I traded it off for this one. It has alot of black on the sides and looks better than my old one. "Monty" swords are the best. The males have swords twice as long as their bodies and they have a hi round spotted dorsal that is gorgeous. They are one of the most elegant fish in the hobby. Truly a sight. Imagine a 3 inch male swordtail with a 6 inch sword and a dorsal fin that looks like someone pasted a dime on the fish's back. They come from the mountains of central Mexico. Sometimes there are photos on Aquabid or do a web search. You will be surprised.
I have one more fish Phalloceros caudimaculatus reticulatus. It is a one inch livebearer from Brazil that is golden and covered in black dots -- really nice. I had 100's but the city changed my water source this summer and I killed lots of fish -- that's one reason I haven't been too active. I was kind of depressed. I saved some of these -- that I originally got from a friend in Denmark -- but I am afraid I will loose them. They have never fully recovered from the water problem and have not dropped fry in 3 months. Luckily, I distributed about 40 pairs to friends last year so hopefully they have had luck and I can find new ones if I have too. Getting them from Denmark was not easy. They are popular in Europe but rare here in the USA. "Caudis" are perfect little fish and can take cooler water -- 66-68F even.
I have a bunch of Corydoras paleatus that I bred and raised and several little dwarf cichlids related to Kribs called Nanochromis dimidiatus (Neza population).
I keep java fern, java moss, najas, Anubias, all kinds of crypts, Criniums, chain swords, ruffled swords, red lotus lillies, aponogeton crispus and bovinianus and narrow leaf java fern.
I also raise baby brine shrimp, microworms, daphnia and grindal worms for the fish.
Nathan, for killies in your area check out TheFishWizards webpage -- great site and great guys. Also, I believe the Boston Aquarium Society is having their HUGE annual auction this weekend on either Sat or Sunday -- I forget which. Check their website. I bet there are tons of killies at the auction.

Bobby

Hehehe,1 common goldfish,1 comet,1 black moore nymph,lots of,trumpet,ramshorn,and pond snails,1 aplle snail.

Well, certainly not as impresssive as some on here, bu here goes!

4 paradise fish(macropodus opercularis).

1 male golden wonder(female killed in accident with kribs)

1 pair of kribs(I don't bother with the babies anymore! Darned things! They're beautiful, but very aggresive!)

A colony of heterandria formosa(least killifish). The colony now numbers at 10 breeding adults(7 females) and approx 20-30 fry....I don't dare try to count. With luck I may be transfering some to a pond in spring, and distribute juvies in summer. They are all in a planted ten gallon.

I may be trying native fish(or Neza swords) in the 46 gallon tank after doing a clearout(and figuring out what to do with those kribs...).

Hi again.  Bobby, i'd love to go to that auction tomorrow... REALLY love to go... but can't.  Religious thing.  Ah well.  Aric said i can buy some from him at only 'slightly' higher prices after he gets back.

Those sound like some really cool livebearers you have.  I didn't realize they could be so interesting - the platies in my tank are prolific and voracious, but not particularly exciting.

I hit my first BAS meeting this month.  Very cool.  I'm not giving up the NECPS for it anytime soon, but it's a very different bunch of people.

Regarding the kribs, i knew that the male and female can be a bit aggressive, but most people concluded that in a 50 gallon or larger tank, they should get along ok.  I think mine would have too, but i neglected feeding them for a day or two and i think that pushed them over the edge.  Incidentally, the rest of the fish have calmed down and stopped dying, i think the reign of terror by Mr. Krib is over.  It's amazing how much more lively and colorful they have become.  My cheapo Petco Australian Rainbows are actually showing a bit of color for the first time.

Any suggestions on a good species of cory to breed?  I'd prefer some of the smaller ones that would be small enough to stay in my 10 gallon and keep it clean.

Here are some pics of my krib fry.  I recently added the red/blue betta female, and the krib seemed a bit confused.  They follow her around like she's momma, but when she turns around, they realize she ain't and they scatter (Augh!  Run for your life!).  It always seems like the confusion is going to end in violence at any moment.

Anyone know how to sex the fry, and at what size it's possible?

Them following her like a bunch of street punks:
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Krib%20street%20gangs.jpg

Are you my mother?
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Are%20you%20my%20mother%203.jpg

Them running away
20031025-AQ-Betta%20splendens,%20Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-Are%20you%20my%20mother.jpg

The fry up close at ~9 weeks:
20031025-AQ-Pelvicachromis%20pulcher%20(krib)%20fry-9%20weeks.jpg

Sorry for the horror show with the algae... kinda ugly.

d. muscipula,
COOL PICS!
biggrin.gif
I love how you took a shot every 3 seconds, showing them going up to the betta then running away
laugh.gif
blues.gif
unclesam.gif

more pics!!!

I have a 40 gallon breeder. I just took down 2 10 gallon tanks. I alway put off cleaning them.

Fish:
Guppies
Platies
Neon Tetras
Otto
SAE's
Hillstream Loach
Botia striata
Ghost Shrimp

Plants:
Aponogeton ulvaceus
Ceratophyllum demersum
Cryptocoryne crispatula
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Java Fern
Rotala rotundifolia
Sagittaria subulata
Vesicularia dubyana

Pictures can be seen here:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/community.html

I hope to have a new picture of the tank soon. I changed the driftwood about a month ago, to a piece that almost comes to the top of the water. I bought a few new rocks today when I was at That Fish Place. I'm going to do some rearranging tomorrow when I clean the tank. I'll take a new picture of the tank then.

Hi D,

Who's Aric? Do you mean Ariel Bornstein? If so, tell him hi for me and that he owes me an email! I have a book for him!

Too bad you can't make the auction. Glad you made it to the BAS. It's one of the best clubs around. Next year, I think they will host the international Aquatic Gardeners Association convention which is always cool if you like plants, plus they are apart of the Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies that has a great big convention/auction each year.

The kribs look great. There probably won't be any violence. The babies are just programed to follow and as cichlids are very smart and curious. Sexing will depend on growth rate which depends on food type, amount, frequency, tank size and number and amount of water changes. The males should out grow the girls and the girls should start showing the red belly and more rounded body. The fins will show differences too. Try to change water once a week and try to feed 2-4 times a day. If you can't hatch out brine shrimp go to <www.brineshrimpdirect.com> and get some decapped brine shrimp eggs that you can feed unhatched by just sprinkling on the water. They sink and the little guys will scarf them up. (This would be good for the zebra fry too, Trashcan!).
Get some pygmy corys Corydoras pygmaeus. If you have slightly soft acid water and feed well (especially live baby brine shrimp) they will breed in the plants and you will have a nice school of tiny corys, especially if they are the only species in the tank. On larger corys, aneus, paleatus and panda corys are the easiest to breed. Julii corys are the hardest to breed. There is an english guy who has a site on corys and a great book on breeding them. I think his name is Ian Fuller but I am not sure. I have read his articles and they are great. See if you can find his site on line. He writes for the english magazine Practical Fishkeeping
I bet you find people at the BAS that like CP's too. Just wait! You might get more NECPS members and might even try for co-sponsored shows.

Bobby

At the rate they are growing, you should be able ot sex thme in about 4-6 months.

Check the tails periodically for patterning. Also check the ventral fins. Males will eventuallly grow longer ventral fins. If a male sports ocelli(I do wish I could find one that did over here!) they will start to show at this time. Red bellies wtake longer thna the other traits to form. A less reliable way is body shape. Males tend to have bigger heads and more bullet shaped bodies.

And for the plants list.....

The ten gallon H. formosa tank is the only tank thats is planted as of now....(emphasis on now). I once new a momNpop store which sold stuff pretty cheap....he ended up knowing me by first name basis before he moved out because of competition from larger petstores. If you don't count the vals that I bought somewhere else(and that are dying off it seems anyway)..the whole setup was only 5 bucks of plants!

Tank includes.
A larger number of java ferns(he sold em to me as a big clump of what was left from a java wall display tank before he took the subjects apart and sold them...a heaping handful of little plants...that was 3 bucks. I've covered a lava rock that takes up 1/4 of the tanks floorspace with them, and then the remainder cover msot of the foreground.

2 A crispus bulbs The plants were presprouted and not sold as just bulbs. He had picked the largerst ones out of the tank. Thats about 1 buck

4 dwarf lily bulbs...once again, these were presprouted before being sold.

I think Aric is the correct spelling. He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts
wink.gif
) i've found (Gills). It's cool to live in a place where there are such great societies and stuff.

The fry have grown A LOT in the last two weeks, because i've been feeding more, and several times a day (instead of once or twice). That was due to a conversation with said Aric after the last BAS meeting, when he told me that they should be large enough to sell to him at a month or two of age with proper care. That's when i realized they hadn't had proper care.
tounge.gif
Unfortunately, there are some very greedy SAEs and platies in the tank who tend to (over)eat the food if i feed so frequently, so feeding anything special is kinda pointless because the fry never get to it.

I've noticed that the dorsal fin is the full length of the body on all the fry. Does that mean they're all of the same gender?

If ocelli are the eyespots on the tail and dorsal, the male definitely has them. Where are you at, Nflytrap?

I'll look for the pygmy corys. Sounds really cool! Can you recommend a beautiful species of killies that aren't too hard to keep, and don't require weird stuff like annual dry spells?

The dorsal fin lengthening in the males(the "streamer" as I call em) takes a while to form compared to other traits. Im in CA....However, I may be changing the tank to a native fish tank(or a neza sword tank), so I'll probably be moving the kribs out.

A good killie to start with would be Aplocheilus. panchax. They have blueish grey bodies. The edges of the males fins are lined in black, along with either orange, yellow, or blue. Females lack color in fins.

Aplocheilus lineatus, the golden wonder, is a good choice if you like yellow and black.

Fundulus chrysotus, the golden ear, is a good choice too. The males are either olive green or orange with gold and red spots. The tail fin(and in some, the dorsal and anal fins) of the males are bright red. Females and juvies are slightly duller with gold spots.

The American flag-fish is also a good choice. Males usually have a yellow back ground with red horizontal stripes and green or blue upperparts. Give it a some imagination and its like a little flag. The pupfish like body shape fits the illusion as well.

Btw D. muscipula, is that water clover in the krib pics?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D muscipula @ Nov. 02 2003,10:07)]I think Aric is the correct spelling.  He's a hobbyist who also runs the best LFS (Local Fish Store, for all you CP nuts
wink.gif
) i've found (Gills).  
LOl,

LFs, local fish store

LFs, live fresh sphagnum!

I believe it's called glossostigma, but i'm not sure.  Perhaps the common name is water clover? In any case, the kribs won't leave the stuff alone, and their constant rooting around below it tends to make it float.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll take a look at pics of those killies and see what i can find around here.

Back