Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first killie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey D, nice Killies!

Your algae problem, is that black hair algae running around in there? if so, I feel for you, I once had a horrible infestation wipe out about 200 dollars worth of plants, and for the life of me, I can not figure out why I got it, all my levels were pegged bang on and it shouldn't have been growing at all...

anyhow, I finally stopped it by breaking down the tank, and putting all the plants int a five gallon bucket of RO water, I then in another bucket, I added water and a cap full of bleach and began doing dunks, this damages the plants, but it kills the algae (or at least seriously retards it.) I then put all the plants back in the RO bucket, which by this time had been generously dosed with Amqel and stress coat (probably over kill... but when dealing with bleach...) the fish lived in a huge ice chest for 4 days while I scrubbed every nook and cranny of the filter system, tank, you name it, I scrapped the substrate, boiled the wood and rocks, (actually had to BROIL some of the wood for a few minutes as it was to big to fit in a pot.) any way, when all was said and done, I knew I had a fun time ahead of me, as I had oblitereated my biological filter (i wanted to reduce the chance of the black hair algae getting back into the tank so all new filter media, new gravel, anything the algae could have grown on... was sterilized.)

I set the tank back up minus one filter which I left on the ice chest, and (I was running dual emperor 400's at this time) I pulled a couple of emperor 400 filter pads out of my oscar tank which had no algae problems, and put one in each of the emperors and added a product equivalent to CYCLE, though, I don't remember exactly what it was. As I added the plants back in, I used a soft sponge and RO water to scrub the leafs of the plants that could handle it, like swords and what not, got as much of the residue off as I could, same with the wood and stones, and then added in the plants I couldn't scrub, like the crypts, which were to fragile, if they had leaves with residue, I removed them, threw some plants away, and sadly, some didn't survive the witches brew of chlorine bleach... (Of course, the lace leaf didn't survive the algae, and the bulb rotted while in the pot... that hacked me off, it was a gorgeous thriving plant prior to that.) all said and done, everything looked great for a few weeks, and then the blasted stuff started coming back, checked my levels, everything again, bang on... did a water change... so on, so forth... finally a few months later, I read about Siamese Algae Eaters... wonderful little creatures that should be a required purchase with every live plant. I added about ten of them to the tank, and low and behold, the next morning, there was not a scrap of the black crap in the tank. I am sure it was still growing, but it was gone from sight and controlled... good enough for me. I later added malaysian trumpet snails, which also do a number on algae and leave your plants alone... this setup held up right on through to the day I finally broke that tank down and moved into the infamous 'no aquariums' apartment complex...

I am now finally in a new apartment... but the aquarium is housing my CP's.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] happily... by the end of the year, my old 30 gallon hex (which used to be home to guppies I bread to feed my oscars and arrowana - I know... I am mean... ) will soon be a micro-reef... so.. happy days will soon be here again... and when I get a house, I am planning on building a huge tank into a wall... should be nice... that will be salt, and I will probably do another large one (and limit myself to two) that is planted fresh water.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Killies are awesome little fishes! I used to breed Killies (different Aphyoseimon sp. which is another name for Fundulopanchanx or used to be some years back) but Nepenthes are less manual work so now I only have one 40 gallon "favorite fishes" left.

Sadly killies generally only live 2- 3 years as in the wild many are only alive during the rainy season. But as heavily as they bred-if you have no predatory fishes and keep the parents well fed your population will steadily increase even with no real effort on your part.

Live foods like brine shrimp, glassworms, bloodworms, daphnia, etc are key for getting the parents into prime spawning condition (though they don't really need all that much encouragement to begin with).

If you have your killies in a heavily planted fishtank they will be far more relaxed and much less prone to jumping out at the first chance. Keeping their water extra clean will also help. It has been noted in some literature that certain species may jump from one puddle, rice paddy, flood plain (who's water has gotten too foul) to another small body of water which is hopefully more suitable). They are so calm in a heavily planted tank that a pair of my Aphyoseimon austerale continued their spawning activity in a clump of Glossostigma sp. while I was pruning some of the other plants only a few inches away.

If algae is a problem increasing your water changes (and using more R/O to starve the algae of phosphates) helps a good deal.

Also a couple "True Siamese Algae Eaters" or "True Flying Fox" (NOT the Flying Fox nor the Chinese Algae Eaters) will work wonders as they are tireless scavengers but it's hard to find a shop who can get in the true ones or even know what they are. The difference between the common false Flying Fox and the true Flying Fox is that the lateral stripe from the eye to the tail does not continue through the tail on the false flying fox. This is basically the ONLY differing charachteristic between the two. Their habits are vastly different however, one will scavenge all day (True FF) and one will sit idle until you feed the other fish (False FF). I think it was Aqua Botanic who has an illustrated article on IDing the difference between the two species in their "Library" section of their website (at bottom of opening page left corner).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Yeah, i'm actually the one who posted the little article on the utility of and an identification guide to true SAEs a few months back in this very forum, so you're 'preaching to the choir'. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] The problem is, my two SAEs are in my 75 gallon community tank, and with their gluttony have grown far too large to risk putting them in this little 10 gallon, where they would quickly uproot everything.

I don't think it's black thread algae, but it is long and thready and green. The problem is i overdid the fertilizer for a while when i first planted the tank, and have neglected it a lot since then. I'll see how it does with regular changes, and may add some otos, since they're smaller and less clumsy than SAEs. At least they'll eat the soft algae growing on the tank walls.

The first LFS (local fish shop) i was referred to here in Cambridge had a tank that was literally COVERED with BBA. It looked like a silky black coating on the entire tank. I don't go back to that LFS anymore. It was just too poorly cared for.

RamPuppy: I don't think i could ever go to that kind of trouble just to eradicate some BBA, but i admire your thoroughness. I guess that's why i haven't dared to try to grow lace plant - i don't maintain good enough conditions. Wow, that would be a cool one, though.

Bobby: Yup, australe. I thought the oranges looked like the goldfish crackers - they have almost cartoon smiles due to the coloration around their mouth!

Tony was a great speaker, and i rapidly found myself unable to farther escalate my gasps of amazement at his photos, long before he got to the best ones. Killies may play a long and beautiful role in my future hobby time. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] That is, assuming this first trial goes well...

DKiM128, i sent you that google search link that listed quite a few Aquarium Societies around Chicago a week ago, did you even check out any of those? That's how i found BAS.

Now for an update: The killies are still in the tank, fortunately, but i'm not sure they're eating well. It's hard to tell, because the male spends a lot of time hiding in the ambullia, and when he's not, he chases the female, who acts terrified. I think that's not supposed to be happening.

I tried feeding them flightless fruitflies and some packaged brine shrimp, and flake, and i've seen the female chew up the flies and then spit them back out, and the shrimp disappear, but i'm not sure who is eating them. I'll have to set aside time this weekend to just stare at them awhile and see what's going on. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

My neps are going to be jealous... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I was checking out some societies, but I was hoping someone on this forum might actually be in my region. Or know of a good society.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12