Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first killie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://home.**********.com/d_muscipula/images/20031117-AQ-Fundulopanchax%20gardneri%20'Makurdi',%20Barbus%20titteya-My%20first%20killie%20with%20a%20Cherry%20Barb%20pair.jpg[/img]
    Sorry the pics are so scary. The tank is algae infested and the light was bad. Even so, i think you get an idea how gorgeous this fish is!

It's a good thing i only took a limited amount of cash to my second BAS meeting, or things could have gotten ugly. ($8 for the killies, $8 for 9 GIANT Neon Tetras, $7 for a giant Anubias, $4 for two corys... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] )

You can see that the Barbus titteya (Cherry barbs) are being obnoxious and excessively playful as usual. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]http://home.**********.com/d_muscipula/images/20031117-AQ-Fundulopanchax%20gardneri%20'Makurdi',%20Barbus%20titteya-My%20first%20killie%20with%20a%20Cherry%20Barb%20pair,%20ambullia.jpg[/img]

PS Yes, there is a female somewhere, too, but she's homely. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    There's no 'a' in perlite.

My Growlist
    NECPS.org - New England CP growers unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi D,

What a nice gardneri! He's a classic. Keep in mind that killies will jump so make sure you tape up every small hole or opening on your tank cover -- even if you think its too small for the fish to get out of -- they will! If you keep the gardneri alone in a 10 gallon tank loaded with plants you will soon have many fry. The adults will eat most everything but some frozen or live food is needed. If you want alot of fry to survive feed the tank live baby brine shrimp once everyday and this will help the fry make it as baby killies need to "hunt" food. You can also spawn them in peat or on spawning mops and collect the eggs or medium and store them. If you want to do that let me know and I can describe how. Good luck. Aren't society auctions great! I wonder if there is anyone there I know.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bobby

There were a lot of people there! The auction was also huge, probably due to the big area auction a few weeks ago.

I wish i hadn't checked this at school. I'm afraid i'll go home and find my killie on the floor dried up. The presentation at the meeting was by Tony Terceira on killies, and very informative and interesting. He talked about making spawning mops and using coconut fiber as a safer alternative to peat. It started to sound like a discussion of CP media. It included similar comments on how much they jump and to be very careful. But now i read your message and even though i taped up the bigger gaps, i remember thinking "oh, they won't fit between the heater and the tank edge", and am very worried. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

There was also a very beautiful 'orange' (forget the scientific name for that color morph, but apparently everybody in killies knows 'orange') pair there, but i thought i better stick to a single pair for a start.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So thats what killies are !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Killies are a huge group of species (and even within species there is huge variation) of fishes adapted to almost every wet habitat around. Many of the more colorful ones come from small lakes, ponds, and even puddles in Africa, but they are found in every continent except antarctica and Australia (sounds a lot like some CPs, doesn't it?). They are very tough, some having evolved the ability to persist in areas that remain dry much of the year. The eggs of those species require a dry spell before they will develop, and can last a long, long time while waiting (sound like certain CPs again, doesn't it?).

They are often gifted jumpers, and in some small bodies of water grow extremely fast. There are some species that are never collected small because the fastest growing one eats all the rest to grow up as fast as possible. Most of them are tough, holding their own against other fish and often they can be downright aggressive. Two males together in the same tank is a bad idea, but groups of 4-6 pairs will often work.

They have never been commercially viable, in part because they don't spawn in huge quantities at once, and in part because they do spawn regularly and collectors have a tradition of trading eggs (since most can be simply mailed anywhere in the world while in stasis) for low prices.

Most need a diet with at least some live foods. Some of the killies from seasonal puddles can be short lived- a year to 18 months - while others live for several. They range from 1 to 6" in size.

Many remain quite small, and can be kept in very small containers. Combined with the fact that they often don't require water as warm as many of the tropicals and you find that killie-keepers have grow rooms filled with dozens of "shoe boxes" - with tight-fitting lids, of course!

The US has killies - pupfish, flagfish, and others, as well.

Killies aren't identified by species, but by location, because due to their habitat they can vary hugely from one pool to the next. It has actually been documented that that they spread by elephants carrying mud with eggs in it from one pool to the next, but it probably happens much more often from mud on bird's feet! Adding to the breathtaking diversity is the strange fact that there will often be two independent forms or species living in the same small pool. If there is a "sunny" and a "shady" side of a pool, there can be two species that look nothing alike living side by side, but keeping to their part of the pool. This is strange when the traditional evolutionary description of species formation is considered - a species is physically divided and the two populations evolve independently. Here, there is nothing to prevent interbreeding and the loss of the two independent species.

Weird.

Anyway, those are just some interesting tidbits i picked up. Hopefully i'm not too inaccurate.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi D,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tony Terceira. I've known Tony since the 1970's. He is one of the best. I wish I would have known he was speaking as I would have emailed him an intoduction for you and asked him to bring you a few pairs of fish. He is sending me some Callopanchax soon. I bet he had lots of great photos. Tony knows his stuff. He was editor of the AKA journal for years and wrote a wonderful killie book back in the 70's. It is amazing how close killies are to CP's. Its all about soft acid water, peat moss, breeding, diets for hunters, insects as food and wild, weird shapes and colors. I still like peat better than coconut fiber but if you want to breed on a soil type medium and collect the eggs then cocofiber is great. I just like a nice big bowl of peat and then drying and storing. A friend brought me some Nothobranchius symoensi eggs in peat today -- incredible colored fish! 3 month incubation. They were from fish I gave him. Maybe I will have some eggs or fish for you next Spring.
    Were the orange killies australe? Gardneri are easier and hardier. I hope no one jumped!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm located in Illinois where do they have meetings like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi,

What part of Illinois? Chicago and the burbs have several aquarium societies -- including one for killies, saltwater and for cichlids. There are clubs in Indiana and Wisconsin. I am not sure about southern Illinois but I bet there are some.

Bobby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast