Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Bichirs... I used to have one that was over a foot long...

You need to know that bichir's are predators, mine loved to eat ghost shrimp... which I would gorge on fish food that was in turn soaked in a vitamin solution before feeding to the shrimp, and introducing them into the tank... and... bichirs look really really cool slipping through beds of crypticorns and micro-sword.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure RO water is very very very bad!
    fish will not survive in it, it is TOO pure!
    shoudl mix 50/50 with tap.
    that will make nice soft water for discus.
    and discus will survive in (most) pure tap anyway..
    you only need really soft water if you intend to *breed* discus and raise the young..
    but just for keeping adult discus, you dont need any RO water at all..(unless your tap is unusually hard)
    For most fish, its not worth messing with RO at all..
    If you want to keep Discus, or angelfish, or soft-water cichlids, then yes it would be beneficial to the fish to use a 50/50 RO/tap mix..
    if you have it, use it!
    (if you really need it for the fish)
    but never use it straight..

scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never use it straight UNLESS your doing marine... then your ocean mix will take care of buffering it.

(And let it be noted, I will defer to Scotty's judgement 99 times out of 100 cause he is one smart fish dude. I agree no RO for just fish tanks... but I think experience has learned me it's essential for planted tanks to help control those microscopic algae... and in marine aquariums... in san antonio if you use tap in a marine tank your almost guranteed to deal with a free floating diatom scourge that will make your water look like pea soup.) I guess it's because we have lots of silica in our water. (Or so they say.) I don't know...
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok this is what I came up with.

Tropical Tank mixture, HUGE MIX, prolly using the 90 gallon tank. LOTS OF PLANTs

Oscar Tank, Just cause I wanted one. I'm trying to figure out what oscar is bueatiful, and what combination of other thing

20 gal Killifish tank

10 gal any fry/breeding/plant/daphnia/brine shrimp/maybe some aquatic ultrics =D.

Then in the future, when I figure out all the ph/and all aovbut the chemistry and things.
    Moving on to Discus and salt water =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oscars beautiful? ok... maybe... allright.. yeah.. they have a 'beauty' about them.

I am partial to the Tigers personally.

Oh, and I would encourage you to try to develop your 90 gallon community as an eco-system. i.e. if you go with an amazon river bed, try and populate it with plants and animals and decorations that one would find in the amazon. I find that tanks done in this fashion are always the most stunning.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12