Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebirth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi Nflytrap,

Nezzies get about 2 and 1/2 inches on good fish. They are a short bodied thick species with the males having a nicely curved sword and big yellow dorsal fin. They do throw small males but I have line bred mine for size so I get a fair number of big males. So, with the sword a good male is nealry 4 inches. The females can be 3 to 3 and 1/2 inches.
    Monty males can get about 2 -3 inches but the sword can be 4-6 inches so they look big.
    Your grandma raised nezzies or regular swords?
    Monties and Nezzies look very different from regular swords with Monties closer to regular swords and nezzies similar to variatus platies.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for clearing that up!

They both are very attractive....Darn! LOL

I did some research on caudos, and it mentioned in Exotic tropical fishes, that"The fish have a tendency to revert back to wild type coloration" It also shows both male and female yellow with black spots. Are your fish, wth gold males and grey females, the "Wild type"?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi,

My Caudis are the reticulatus type. There is the wild type, the reticulatus and the auratus. The auratus type has both yellow/gold males and females. The reticulatus type has the yellow/gold males and greyish/goldish females. I have never seen them revert to the wild type which is a grey fish in both sexes with a singe black bar in the center of the body. I have tried to get the auratus type but so far have had no luck. My friend in Denmark got some from Germany but they died and a guy in Los Angeles had them but they stopped breeding for him.
    Which edition of Exotic Aquarium Fishes do you have? Is it an Innes edition or a TFH edition?
    Sometimes the people who sell monties and nezzies on Aquabid.com will show great photos of each.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exotic Tropical Fishes Expanded Edition

TFH publications. Among the authors is Dr. Herbert R Axelrod.

Not to sure which "edition" this is. The cover photo shows a male and female longfin danio.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi,

Ah, ok, the Axelrod book. I've never been a big fan of Herbie. I have an edition of that book published in the 60's and it has a nice photo of the Caudis. It too mentions the fry reverting to the plain wild type coloring. I've never seen that happen in mine.
    Look in old bookstores or at www.abebooks.com for William T. Innes' Exotic Aquarium Fishes editions 1-19 published from 1935 to 1956. While this book does not cover new fishes the information is priceless and the quality of the book's appearance and pictures is outstanding. After the 19th edition in 1956, the book was taken over by others and it lost its quality appearance. The old editions are in these rich old green bindings with glossy paper and hand painted color prints of many fish. It is filled with tons of information and is layed out incredibly well. Old editions do not sell for much either.
    2 other great old books from the 1960's are FRESHWATER FISHES OF THE WORLD by Gunther Strerba and AQUARIUM CARE also by Gunther Sterba. Sterba was an East German and head of the Zoology Dept at Leipzig University. Tropical freshwater fish were his hobby and he wrote these enormous books for the hobbyist. They were translated into english in the 60's. FWFOTW runs over 1000 pages and AC is about 500. The first deals only with aquarium fish -- all 1000 pages and the second deals with tanks, breeding, live foods, diseases and plants. I can't even begin to describe how invaluable these 2 classics are and again they are ususally pretty cheap on www.abebooks.com (a collection of used book shops all over the world).
    If you want a great Xmas gift these 3 old books definitely qualify.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general care, how different are Montezumae swords from the normal ones that I have had experience with?
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

There is not any real difference. Monties are a bit more shy and are much faster swimmers. They are also expert jumpers. The biggest difference is that Monties can reportedly take lower temps, although I keep mine at 74-78F. They have slightly smaller appetites than regular swords. Nezzies are very different. They are in constant motion zipping everywhere and are not shy at all. They have big appetites.

Bobby

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12