User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: total newbie wanting to

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My tank is measured by LxBxH = 23"x 12" x 14"
    how many gallons is that?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wezx @ Jan. 02 2004,02:54)]thanks for the replys everyone! Im learning fast!

today i dropped by a small aquarium shop. I saw a filter called "bio filter". It looks like an external filter with a tube sticking in the water. It looked quite like the emperor filter. It is 200 liters per hour (what does that ,mean?) and it is biological, chemical and mechenical filter (what does that mean?)
    best of all it's only S$15!!!
    is that ok for my 10 (OR 20?SEE 2 POSTS DOWN)gallon tank?

also what's a "spone filter"?
    does algae grow fast? will a Siamese algae eater handle a 10 gallon tank with quite strong light?

just to confirm, is a standard 2ft(24") tank 10gallon?

thanks!!!!!
    Your tank is 17 gallons. The filter you mentioned is too small. You need one that filters 150 to 200 GPH or about 300 to 400 LPH. Note that this is for the hang-on back type of filter. Mechanical filtration uses foam or floss to catch peices of dirt. Chemical filtration uses substances that catch and hold discolouration, dyes, and other chemicals. Biological filtration uses bacteria of the phylum Nitrospira to break down toxic chemicals such as ammonia and nitrite. Biological filtration is the most important of the three. Siamese algea eaters have the terrible tendecy to rasp away at your other fishs' sides until the die. This usually come with age.

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great!thanks so ill get....

SET UP-
    filter: 500 LPH biofilter S$18, (maybe a sponge filter S$5),
    light: 36W PL light S$40+ 2 tubes 30W S$32(should i add anything like pink light?)
    temperature:maybe a cheap PC fan S$10 to cool the lights or the water (if needed) a heater S$10(if needed)
    tank: good quality plastic(glass might break) tank about S$30
    Gravel: not quite sure about this yet, i need to check it out, will cost maybe S$10
    altogether: S$150!!! I have to have cheaper light!

FISH:
    a few small shrimps as scavengers, an algae eater/ 2 catfish(do i need to feed those catfish?)
    2 nice male guppies
    a few small tetras
    the rest id have to go to the fish farms to see which are nice
    am i "overloading"?

PLANTS/rocks: a few water sprits, ricca...i have to find out more,ill make a small rock cave for fish to hide

sounds good? did i miss out anything? Of course ill add plants and fish slowly

thanks!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A seventeen gallon tank can hold eleven and a half inches of fish.36W is way more light than you need.Maybe 20 W.
    The filter you mentioned is too powerful. 500 L or 250GPH is far to much. Add two hardy fish to start, and the rest in two months.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to remember the formula for calculating gallon capacity. Is it LxWxH/231?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok! ill give the tank 30W worth of light, that brings down the cost by about $40. And the 500l/h bio filter will be a 400l/h filter. That will bring down the cost by only $1...
    look at my plan on page 2, what do you think? did i miss out anything?

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SnapTrap @ Jan. 04 2004,06:08)]A seventeen gallon tank can hold eleven and a half inches of fish.36W is way more light than you need.Maybe 20 W.
    The filter you mentioned is too powerful. 500 L or 250GPH is far to much. Add two hardy fish to start, and the rest in two months.
    (everyone probably knows this..but just in case..)
    a 17 gal tank can support "11 inches" of SMALL fish!
    for example, 11 one inch tetras would be fine..
    but one 11 inch Oscar would not be fine! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    a 17 gal tank would be WAYYY to small for an Oscar..even though it might still be "eleven inches of fish"
    or even two 5" goldfish wiould be far too much fish for a 17 gal tank..
    there is a big difference between "inches of fish" and "total fish mass"..so the "inches of fish" rule really cant be used for any fish larger than tetras..its meaningless for larger fish..
    scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catfish do need to be fed, especially because you won't have any algae for them to eat yet. They like those little green wafers that sink to the bottom. The package will tell you which type likes them. One is just algae, another is algae with shrimp/fish meal. There might be others. My supposed veggie eater only likes the shrimp ones... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast