Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: total newbie wanting to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wezx @ Jan. 05 2004,03:49)]ok! ill give the tank 30W worth of light, that brings down the cost by about $40. And the 500l/h bio filter will be a 400l/h filter. That will bring down the cost by only $1...
    look at my plan on page 2, what do you think? did i miss out anything?

thanks!
    The only thing I can think of is that you should not put two male guppies together in the same tank. Since both the guppy and the tetras are schooling fish, and your supposed to have five at least in a school, I would go with on or the other. The sex ratio should be 1 male to 4 females. Do you know anything about pH? Also a sponge filter would be unneccesary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw dang, that's exactly what I have, 2 guppies and a bunch of schooling fish, including 6 tetras. They all get along, you can tell the guppies prefer to stay by themselves. So Snap Trap is totally right. I was thinking about getting some more, but my tank is "full."
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes i know about pH, ill try to test my filtered water when i get a litmas paper
    i like guppies more than tetras... also if i put all female tetras/guppies except for one then they will breed alot right? so of i want guppies I can only have one male? ill probably have one male and 1 female
    thanks
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (SnapTrap @ Jan. 04 2004,15:08)]The filter you mentioned is too powerful. 500 L or 250GPH is far to much.
    SnapTrap,
    1 US Gallon= 3.78 Liters so 500 LPH = 130 GPH

Wezx,
    Yes the formula for liquid volume (in US gallons) is LxWxH/231

As to buying the water test kits, many fish stores will test your water for you for free. (Especially if you are spending money in their stores. Dont be afraid to ask.)
    Also I dont believe I saw this mentioned anywhere in this thread but copper is toxic to all invertebrates. Before you buy snails for your tank, have your water tested for copper (would be a great time to ask for that free test I just mentioned [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Good luck with your tank
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (wezx @ Jan. 06 2004,20:45)]yes i know about pH, ill try to test my filtered water when i get a litmas paper
    i like guppies more than tetras... also if i put all female tetras/guppies except for one then they will breed alot right? so of i want guppies I can only have one male? ill probably have one male and 1 female
    thanks
    One male guppy will continually chase the female around. I would have at least three females to each male. Sorry about my miscalculation with the metric system. I thought that one liter was about a half-gallon. I wish the US would use metric. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks so with all the number right,which filter should i get? 500l/h?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wezx, you are from Singapore. You do not need a heater!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh thanks gugin, thats makes the total set up only about $100!
    are you into this aquarium stuff too?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast