What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Fish Companion Advice

I wanted to set up a tropical tank, about 80 gallons, Right now, I downsized on my fishes in order to make room for darts, now I regret doing this as I am lacking the once colorful colors. I have this huge koi no one wanted cause I rescued it before from a petstore, and it had some scars on it. Its been getting bigger and bigger, and I have a bunch of convicts that my petstores couldn't accept any more, cause I stocked their stores up with too many of them.

Well so now I have 2 plecos, about 1000000000000 convicts and a huge goldfish. Well I miss having those colors again so I wanted to start a tank, tropical, lots of plants, 80 gallon tank.

I need a combination of livebearers, tetras, platies, mollies, danios, gouramis, and I want to have invertebray on the bottom, hm.....maybe a pleco that doesn't grow big......hm.........I need some specific names though.

I was thinking neon tetras, danios are a must, and thats all I have so far. I want to get LOTS AND LOTS of plants also. Anyone know any place where I can get Java Moss by any chance.

Thanks in Advance
Daniel

I know that plecos can get pretty big. Then again, if you have an 80 gallon I guess it's not an issue I have a 15 gal and so I use two albino corys (nice orange!) a leopard cory, and otocinclus affinis instead.

I really like the neon tetras. I have two of the green ones but the 8 neons always outshine them. I forgot what they're called but there are some black and red tetras that'll look nice.

Guppies are pretty colorful as well as being livebearers. Oh, and if you have really peaceful fish then ghost shrimp are fun to have.

Don't know much about the other fish you listed since I'm a fish newbie, but the stuff above is part of what I have in my tank.

I would get some skirt tetras too.For plants I would use valsineria,amazon swords,tropical day blooming waterlilys,and hornwort. You can get java moss at www.aquabid.com.

Hmm you should of posted earlier I used to have a ton of java moss all i have now is riccia and broad leaf watersprites.

I'ved decided on, Freshwater clams, Ghost Shrimps, Apple Snails, neon tetras, danios, Guppies, swordtail, and I'm thinking about a pair of gouarmis.

For plants, javamoss, anarchist, catacomb, java fern, water sprits, hornwort and anything else I can get, My spelling is horrible, but I'm in a hurrty, I'll edit out some of it later

may i suggest a few other plants: utricularia gibba, it seems to be tolerant of treated tap water, onions (yes, onions, they'll eventually send up blooms above water), amazon swords, and maybe duckweed

Can't beat plant bulbs for price and durability!

Neon tetras are a bad idea,as they like soft water,wheris the livebearing fish like hard water. Also I believe that spec is talking about crinum lilys aka. "onion" not store onions!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Jan. 18 2004,11:30)]Neon tetras are a bad idea,as they like soft water,wheris the livebearing fish like hard water. Also I believe that spec is talking about crinum lilys aka. "onion" not store onions!
Thanks pondboy, you just saved me from going to the store and buying a few onions!
tounge.gif
wow.gif
ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif
ghostface.gif

Having worked at a wholesaler for 6 years, we would medicate the neon tanks when they came in with salt, sulfa, formaldehyde, and furazone green, as well as water softened water. By the time they were ready to be sold to pet shops they were in slightly hard, slightly alkaline water. They do come from soft, acid water in the wild, but they are similar to TC CP's in that they are raised en masse, coming from Singapore. Fancy guppies also get shipped to wholesaler from Singapore, even though they originate from Trinidad.

Back