Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zebra striped fish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, i was wondering if anyone knew of any fresh water zebra striped fish. I ask because it is for an art project, long story, not going to go in to it now. I was wondering if there were any zebra striped fish that would do well in a 2-3(maybe 4) gallon custom made aquarium. It can be small, but if so it needs to be a social fish that does well in a group. The hardy the fish the better.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can think of 2. A Zebra danio. stay small, tough as nails. http://www.petfish.net/zebra.htm

Or a Botia striata. They can grow to around 4". Mine has not grown much since I've had him, had him for about a year. He is about 2 1/2".
    Here is a page I made about them:
    http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/botia.html

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 02 2004,18:49)]The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.
    Don't forget everything in between.

There are giant, giant longfin, longfin zebras, gold, gold zebra, gold leopard, blue, blue longfin (which i'm really really after, saw it once now it's gone.), there are even red neon glow zebra's and green neon glow zebra's.

I personally have a golden leopard, zebra long fin, and a red neon glow zebra. The green ones are way too much money at the moment, especially for a danio.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also lets not forget other striped fish!
    Theres the recently discoverd hypancistrus zebra, a boldly colord catfish with striking black and white stripes. Another zebra striped catfish (his one gets HUGE) is the royal pelc. Also yet another catfish, this one midwater swimming, is Affrican debauwi cat. There scooling fish, so dont buy them singily or in pairs.Theres also the convict cichlid, striped barb, and tiger barb
    that makes no logic

To bad none of the above are suitable for a 4 gallon aquarium. The least I'd reccomend for zebra danios is 10-20 gallons...they are to hyper and even in a ten look cramped. Of course its okay for temp display though, but you had better have a lid lest they jump out in frustration.

If you could find baby zebra danios labeled as feeders, that would be a little better at least while they are small.

Giant Danios are a different species and grow much larger(5-6 inches)....suitable only for 40+ gallon tanks.

Also, keep in mind we are talking about an art project, so a 90 dollar fish will not fill this bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some little danios (babys) would be fine in a 4 to 5 gallon tank for a while. but only for a while.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote[/b] (Vertigo @ Feb. 03 2004,08:23)]
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 02 2004,18:49)]The zebra danio is one most likely the one being referred to. It is inexpensive, somewhat colorful, small, active, and hardy. Every pet shop that sells fish has them. Fish similar and related are: golden, leopard, long fin.
    Don't forget everything in between.

There are giant, giant longfin, longfin zebras, gold, gold zebra, gold leopard, blue, blue longfin (which i'm really really after, saw it once now it's gone.), there are even red neon glow zebra's and green neon glow zebra's.

I personally have a golden leopard, zebra long fin, and a red neon glow zebra. The green ones are way too much money at the moment, especially for a danio.
    those neon glow zebras are FAKE. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/ghostface.gif[/img] i mean, the glow isn't real, its injected in the fish! its really cruel because the ink that is injected eventually starts to (literally!) rot the entrails from the inside out! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] #### pet stores! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast