What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my platy pregant??

• Thread starter buckeye
  • Start date
Hi all.  I'm kind of new to having fish and I was wondering if one of the platys I own is pregnant or if it has fish bloat.  I'm thinking it's pregant since the fish's lower belly is swollen and it doesn't have scales protruding out. Here's some pictures:

The lower fish is the one I'm wondering about:
100_0401.JPG

It's on the left in this picture:
100_0398.JPG

100_0406.JPG

Thanks,

-buckeye

First, How much have you been feeding them? How long have you had them? Do they follow each other alot?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]First, How much have you been feeding them?
I have 9 fish in the tank. So I give them a good pinch of flake food twice a day. The fish always eat all the food within a couple minutes too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How long have you had them?
2 1/2 weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do they follow each other alot?
Yes they do. I rarely see them appart.

-buckeye

Your platy may very well be pragnant. I'm not very good at telling things from pictures, we'll just have to wait until some expert comes in and chime...*cough*biggun110*cough*.... well, from my past experience, livebearers which includes platy's, mollies, swordtail, guppies etc... They have a tendency to BREED like CRAZY. I would recommend setting up a fry tank or adding more plants so if they do give birth the other platies won't swallow them up. Also a good source of food for the frys will be great. A great source that somebody told me (Bobby aka Biggun) is www.brineshrimpdirect.com, but another method is grinding up flakes etc. Well there a lot of methods out there.

But I'm not great with pictures, so if they are pragnant, CONGRATULATION, if not, then in a couple of days, I'm sure one is bound to be pregnant.

Well anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just a novice =D

if it was bloated, it would be hovering near the top of the water, rolling on its belly form time to time, and its body would always be at a 45 degree angle.

Looks like babies to me!
biggrin.gif
blues.gif
congratulations!!
laugh.gif

That fish is very healthy looking - no dropsy or that Malawi bloat. She is due fairly soon. Youcan tell by the "squaring off" of her abdomen. Look also at her "gravid spot", near her anus. You might be able to see EYES. Please get some plants for the babies! Don't want to see them get eaten.

Ok, thanks everyone. Could I use some sort of divider and just close her off until she has the babies??  I’ve seen little plastic breeder dividers that hang on the side of the tank (like this one: Breeder ) Also, what do i do with them as soon as they get bigger (don't platies usually have like 30+)??  I only have a 20 gal. tank!!
smile.gif
 Thanks

-buckeye

You can adapt a plastic container, such as a large Gladware container to the tank. All it needs to do is be able to stretch across the tank (so it doesn't fall in) and yet be submerged. You then use a knife to cut slits at the bottom of the container, large enough for the babies only. You also need to either use another tank for mom and children or find a temporary home for the other fish. I used a coathanger to poke through the container in order for the contraption to reach across the tank. Good luck!

Babies, Are bad news. Fish can lay over 100 eggs, And the chances of every one of them hatching is very high, I personally hate babies. Yes, A divider is absolutely a nessecesite for pregnant fish... but that one looked way to small, the divider. Your best bet, if you plan on keeping the baby platys, is to pick up a new 29 gallon tank, for all the babies, and keep the 20 for the babies. If youve got 75 dollars, you can get a cheap 29 gallon, a quick cheap whisper filter, some gravel, a few plants and a couple months supply of food for them! Remember... Babies is bad... LOTS of babies!

Back