User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 9 to 12 of 12

Thread: Help, will an algae eater eat this?

  1. #9
    Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    18,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The position of the fish as caught on the picture wasn't easy to discern, but to me, it looks like an albino cory cat. they are not algae eating fish. They more root through substrate to find bits and pieces of food. Plecostomus, like the Chinese Algae Eater and Otocynclus cats all have sucker shaped mouths. they grow large and last a long time. Any place that sells fish will have them. Get one that is three inches or longer. If you can avoid chemicals and clean things manually, that would help.

  2. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing how fast this plant grows, i would take the methyline blue into thought. by sunday, the stuff is going to spread to the filter and kill the bacteria anyways [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

  3. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing how fast this plant grows, i would take the methyline blue into thought. by sunday, the stuff is going to spread to the filter and kill the biological bacteria anyways, and it's already killed the bio bacteria in the gravel [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]

  4. #12
    scottychaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Western New York, USA
    Posts
    2,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have dealt with the dreaded "cyanobacteria" as well..
    (also commonly called "blue-green algae")
    its the worst!
    nasty stuff..
    as other have said, its not really algae, its bacteria..
    and the tetra chlorine drops had nothing to do with it..it came in with something you got a fish shop..most likely plants.

    IMO the only thing that will sucessfully kill this is Erythromycin.
    which can be bought at fish shops as "Maracyn"
    (NOT Maracyn 2! they arent the same thing..)
    I used it and it worked..you do need to watch ammonia levels, it might harm the biofilter, but shouldnt kill it outright..
    here are some articles:

    http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/cyanobacteria.html

    http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00495.html

    http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com...thromycin.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •