User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 12

Thread: Help, will an algae eater eat this?

  1. #1
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this moss growing in my tank. The moss began only a few days after I added the TETRA AquaSafe product to help neutralize the chlorine in the tap water. This same problem occurred in my betta's breeding tank and I don't know why I still added it to this new tank. I created this tank to house my female bettas after mating bites and possible scratches. I have only had the tank going for the last two and a half weeks so it is really premature algae, I don't even know if it is algae. But, I don't want to risk my bettas health by dumping them into a bags only a few weeks after I just bought them, mated them, switched containers twice to place them in this tank, and now back out again.

    It's killing my plants. Which is a sign for me that it is not Algae. I am afraid it will be harmful to my fish if I don't get them out soon. But, does anyone recognize this? Could an algae eater take care of it or something like a frog, snail, or even pill? Thanks for your time!

    [img]http://home.**********.com/odysseus2/Moss_Gravel.jpg[/img]

    [img]http://home.**********.com/odysseus2/Moss_Plants.jpg[/img]
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    127
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you have is Bluegreen algae which is actualy a Cyanobacteria. It is toxic, so you shouldn't eat it [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] and as a result most fish will not touch it. Some catfish will break it up though. Generaly it comes about from having to much Nitrate in your tank. The best cure is lots of water changes and siphoning out as much as possible. You can also use an antibiotic like erythromycin, after all it is a bacteria. But I would try the natural way first, at least two 30% water changes a week. I would not wory to much about the health of your fish, but do try to get rid of it.

    George

  3. #3
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, by just changing the water will it go away from the rocks and the plants or do I need to remove those and wash them off? Or is your advice just a little advice on how to keep the nitrate levels down in the future?

    Thanks for the ID by the way! The pet stores around here didn't have a CLUE about my descriptions of my turqouise algae. You've helped me out ALOT! Thanks!
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Coast of California
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Post

    grrrr... I had these annoying pests once... thought it was just algea... anyways, I got that algea killer stuff from the petstore, and it didn't do a thing except kill the plants and the biological bacteria! so I ended up using methyline blue. you should try that, it works really good.

    Also, a 20% water change a day for a week or two should solve the problem. Also, do a gravel cleaning with each water change, that way you get all the little buggers sucked out!

    good luck!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my excess algae, I have a non-toxic and cheap method of cleaning. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Use a sponge or toothbrush for the plants,large rocks,equipment, and sides of tank. For smaller gravel, what works for me is using a metal or hard plastic food strainer. You can swish the rocks around with your hand and water, having them grind against each other will remove much of the algae.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

  6. #6
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thistle,

    Thanks for the advice.

    Spec,

    Where can I find Methyline Blue? Is it labeled simply that at a pet store?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

  7. #7
    Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    18,768
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be sold as a product but it could also be part of another product that has it and other bacteria killers. Personally, I try to use as few chemicals as possible, as it can destroy "good" bacteria. You could replace gravel or clean it manually or you can do all three and purchase plecostomus catfishes. They do a decent job of keeping algae cleaned up. Snails end up being a nuisance in of themselves. Then you'll need to get rid of them!

  8. #8
    Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

    are these plecostomus catfishes the white ones? Like this:

    [img]http://home.**********.com/odysseus2/TheFish_whitectfish_650.jpg[/img]

    I have only one so far...should I get more?
    Odysseus
    Wife and I in the Netherlands. Sure miss living out there.

    My growlist
    A list of beginner CPs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •