Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivory montezumae swords!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTw, I read parts of the paper you sent...and Im unsure of whether the 'Rio Gallinas' that the paper and we are talking about are the same fish. I mean, check out fig 3! That looks nothing like our fish. The paper mentions, in simple terms"The fish have black on the flanks which extends into the dorsal fin." None of the ivory sword pics I've seen show black dorsals.

Sorry about the persistence of these location code questions. I just want to clear this up.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby - Thank you for responding. That one male sword has a relatively long sword, compared to the what wholesalers receive, as it is! very tempting to get back into it - but the cost! Do you have saltwater as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Jimscott,

Yes, monties get very long swords -- at least 1 and 1/2 to 2 times their body length. This and the round dorsal make them the choicest of sword species. The helleri based commercial swords never had swords this big as they are platy x swordtail hybrids and that shortens the sword. Wild helleri swords (like the old green sword but much nicer) do have long swords but not like monties. Monties were only imported into Europe in the mid/late 80's and then soon after into the USA. They are still little known outside of livebearer freaks. I think the nezzie swords are even cooler. But monties are the most graceful.

No, I never have done saltwater. Just never was interested except in seahorses. Way too expensive for me and so hard to breed. I love killies, wild livebearers, weird little wild betta and gourami species, discus, angels, Julidochromis, Lamprologus, dwarf cichlids, fancy long fin domestic bred livebearers and some tetras.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

These Rio Gallinas monties were collected long after the ones pictured in the scientific paper. My guess is that they came from different parts of the river or that the breeder selected for more black over the years she bred them until she released them to the hobby. The ones imported into Europe in the late 1980's had the black spotting like the paper shows. I've seen some odd looking monties over the years so I know the species various in shape and size. You can see in the pics that the unspotted populations are even larger.
    The males should get more black spotting in the dorsal like in the first 2 pics but I have never seen as much black as the 3rd pic. That's an odd fish. The dorsal will also get some yellow coloring.
    I hope they are doing well and eating.

Bobby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bobby: You've probably read this in a post, but when I was a kid, I had 8 tanks in our basement. One was for water sprite. Another for livebearers to have at it. Another for breeding Black Convicts. Yet another for breeding jewel cichlids. The rest was for breeding anabantids - dwarf, blue, opaline, gold, thick lipped, & pearl leeris, as well as paradise fish and bettas. I tried blue rams, but they weren't interested. I remember seeing all those beautiful pics of panchax, fundulus, aploche (?), nothobranchus in Tropical Fish Hobbyist and wondered why I rarely saw them brought into the wholesaler. Once in awhile we would get something in, but they were so small. We had Betta bellicose once. I think it's interesting that some folks are into African cichlids, while others are into synodontus or brackish or ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because its inconvenient to breed killies. I've recently seen golden wonders(a. lineatus, a panchaz type killi) at(of all places) Petco.

Biggun:

So other than'Rio Gallinas' there is no other location info?
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only ones ever brought in were nothobranchus - the least colorful of the genuses. I'd love to see the aploch.... Can't remember how to spell the rest of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aplocheilus lineatus. Havent found any really good pics of the wildtype online.

nothos(Nothobranchius) are one of the most colorful genuses of killies(arguably, the most beautiful is N. rachovi).

I have had little experience with killifish, but I may try it someday. Might be a good solution when I end up in college in a dorm room or something like that. But thats still a long time... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and yesterday I caught the male showing his stuff! The way he strutted around and moved forward and backward raising and lowering his dorsal was impressive. I have yet to see such a performance in a courting swordtail. They arent as pumped up I guess! Too bad the female thought the show was annoying.

The female has lost some shyness and is coming out. I noticed she would follow the juvies and try to steal mysis from them(they now eat it eagerly, except the bigger pieces which are left until there is nothing else to chew on).
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast