Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivory montezumae swords!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pics. The male must be at least 5 inches in length!

Juvies

Male and juvies. The juvies are about the size of platys.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Cool pictures, the 1st pic with the fish's reflection on top is expertly done. Oh and nice fish too, I bet they're much more beautiful in person and in good light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could say expertly done...I say its just luck. He's pretty skittish(and today, not so willing to present himself...he's borrowing the BN plecos cave(along with the female), which is kinda worrying). I had the camera far back from the glass "sniping" him. He did come out briefly 2 times today, Im guessing the tank is a little bare for him.

Oh, and thanks to Biggun110 for sending these wonderful fish! I've fed them mysis, Hikari micropellets, and Hikari Bio-pire daphnia. All is eaten more or less eagerly. The daphnia is the most problematic because it floats.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

They will be shy for a good while just keep an eye on them. These are much smarter and thus more cautious fish than the regular swordtail species. Monties are very hard to catch in the wild because of this. Just feed them, do water changes weekly and sit and watch them. They will begin to accept you. The photos look great. I'm glad the shipment worked well.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He came out to explore a few times today. Pretty amusing. He acted like there was a heron or something above him ready to strike. He went for cruise around, and then came over to the little log and slid in the way a cichlid would!
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ April 22 2004,1:07)]Hi Nflytrap,

They will be shy for a good while just keep an eye on them. These are much smarter and thus more cautious fish than the regular swordtail species. Monties are very hard to catch in the wild because of this. Just feed them, do water changes weekly and sit and watch them. They will begin to accept you. The photos look great. I'm glad the shipment worked well.

Bobby
    Did you procure them from the wild? Having worked at a wholesaler I don't recall seeing them on availability lists - certainly not on the Florida fishfarms or Dolphin International's Singapore supplier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

Yes, they were collected in the wild a few years ago and a strain established. There are 3-5 populations of monties in the hobby but these just have the block spotting. Some of the unspotted ones get really large -- like 8 inches including the sword. Monties are not raised in Florida or the Far East although Florida did some crosses with them in the early 90's. I have 2 huge females from a monty x helleri sword cross that was fertile for 3 generations and then stopped producing fry -- be it in ponds or tanks. The look like huge brink red swords with long long swords. The monties I sent Nflytrap are still young. That's male's sword with get much longer and the dorsal gets higher and rounder -- very impressive.
    I also have nezahualcoytl swords which are a fine looking species. They have thick thick short blue bodies with a long curved orange sword and a big wide round yellow dorsal. I love them. I have a spotted and unspotted strain. They are from wild collections.
    I'm hoping to get the two wild species of sailfin mollies from Central America -- velifera and petenensis -- soon. They are both much larger than our native latipinna species with huge dorsals. The petenensis males even have a black sword on the caudal. Very impressive fish especially compared to the mutant junk they sell in fish stores today.

bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ April 24 2004,9:56)]Hi Jim,

Yes, they were collected in the wild a few years ago and a strain established. There are 3-5 populations of monties in the hobby but these just have the block spotting. Some of the unspotted ones get really large -- like 8 inches including the sword. Monties are not raised in Florida or the Far East although Florida did some crosses with them in the early 90's. I have 2 huge females from a monty x helleri sword cross that was fertile for 3 generations and then stopped producing fry -- be it in ponds or tanks. The look like huge brink red swords with long long swords. The monties I sent Nflytrap are still young. That's male's sword with get much longer and the dorsal gets higher and rounder -- very impressive.

So you mean florida fishfarmers have been hybridizing the two species to produce really large swordtails? I've noticed some overly large female swords at the store(large as the female you sent me) but its probably because of either hormones, genes, or good conditions.

How long can I expect his sword to get? Its already as long as his body...and I can't imagine it longer!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif[/img]
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast