Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy introduction

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I was referring to were Growlights, lighting used by some folks for their CP's and probably other plants. I aked my co-worker how much they are and he said they were about $100. Not sue what Glowlights are, other than a Tetra. That sounds about right for the fish.

Too bad you had that experience with moss / CP's. most people kill them due to using tap water or keping the plastic cover on all the time, so they don't get air circulation, or leaving it off and drying them out or not knowing about dormancy (VFT's) or having it flower. Personally, I did everything wrong in ithe book -- and left the hobby for years - until I saw an array of VFT's at my Home Depot - and just couldn't pass them up. Then I read and read and read and stumbled onto these here forums - and read and read - and asked a bunch of newbie questions. Now I can keep them alive through the winter and kill 'em by putting them outside and having mice gnaw on them. Guess I found a new way of ruining a good thing - but I'm learning and adapting - just like the Borg. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] They're worth it, though, seeing pretty flowers and watching seed germinate - not unlike watching anabantoids make bubblenests and convicts herding their brood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growlights, Glowlights... Ooops. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

These old eyes aren't what they used to be. LOL

I might have to try some CP's in the terrarium I'm starting.
    It's funny, I saw Gubler's mentioned in several threads here, they're only about a half hour drive away from here.
    I send tourists there all the time to see the orchids, I didn't realize the sold CP's.
    I might have to go over there and see what they have available.

CD
    How did I get so many tanks?

Click here to see my Tanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cactusdoug @ April 25 2004,10:35)]Growlights, Glowlights... Ooops. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img]

These old eyes aren't what they used to be. LOL

I might have to try some CP's in the terrarium I'm starting.
    It's funny, I saw Gubler's mentioned in several threads here, they're only about a half hour drive away from here.
    I send tourists there all the time to see the orchids, I didn't realize the sold CP's.
    I might have to go over there and see what they have available.

CD
    Old eyes? You're only 2 years my senior. You're scaring me! I will always be 18 - and holding. Same with BigCarnivourKid. Emphasis on "kid."

Let us know what they have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll be a couple weeks before I can make the time to get over there.

I'll make a list of what I see.

I just got the news this morning, my #1 - 10 gal tank tied for 2nd place in the April Aquascaping contest at Fish Profiles .com. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

CD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I was taking a closer look at your tanks and was trying to identify the plants. The only ones I was reasonably sure of were Amazon Swords and a Cryptocorne. What else is in there? When I was a kid (chronologically), I had a small tank devoted to scraps (fronds?) of Water Sprite. I just put an incandescent light on top and left it alone. Several weeks later I had several plants growing above the water line. Never duplicated that again. Also, I have found that the "cheap" plant bulbs had somewhat attractive white flowers and thrived nicely. Banana plants did well, too. Do you ever utilize those plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just got a 96 watt light over the 46 gallon bow...plus a black background. The tank looks AWESOME(okay...a bit messy and bare too). Hopefully i'll be able to add more plants and laterite too.

Jimscott...you must be pretty lucky. I own some apogonetons, but no flowers.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember which species of plants were in the "assorted plant bulbs. There were at least two of them. I DO remember them having long, skinny stems and white flowers that looked like pipe cleaners. They could take over a tank in a weeks. They were like the guppy of the aquatic plant world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott,

I'm guessing you mean my 10 Gal #1...
    Yes there are Crypts and Amazon Swords.
    The rest of the plants are...

Three different types of Hygrophila,
    the low growing ones are called "Indian Star" - H. polysperma,
    The mid height one on the right with the pinkish leaves is "Sunset Hygro" - H. polysperma "Sunset",
    and the tall one in the back is H. corymbosa v. "Crispa".

And the small leaved one on the right in the mid ground is Rotala indica AKA R. rotundifolia.

There is also a micro Sword (looks like grass) on the left,
    and a Dwarf Sag. Sagittaria subulata (also looks like grass) on the lower right.

The plant floating at the top of one of the twigs is Riccia - Riccia fluitans

And of course the large dark green plant in front of the rocks is a Java Fern - Microsorum pteropus

Lot of variety for a 10 Gal tank, Eh?

I've tried the Banana Plant, but they've always rotted on me.

I've never tried the WalMart Lily bulbs, but I've been tempted to get some.

CD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast