What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone here into aquascaping

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
I feel almost sorry to divert attention away from the other colorful threads we have in this small, yet vibrant board. Anyway, Here is the tank...

Enjoy...
tounge.gif

DSCN5668.jpg

DSCN5667.jpg

Love to hear any suggestions you guys have. Biggun...do you recognize which plants are yours and which are mine?  
wink.gif

I replaced the bowing hygro with another straight one. Not to sure to do with the curver though. I guess he gets to float at the top of the tank some more...
smile.gif

too much lighting needed for me to aquascape
wink.gif
And I'd rather have a tank with fish (I dont see any fish in your tank
rock.gif
)

It's got a good start...

The one thing I would do is,
move your twiggy wood more to the left so it isn't in the center.
Adds more interest and movement.

Oh... I'd add some more round rocks, I could send you some. (just kidding)
biggrin.gif

If you want to get some good ideas of aquascaping,
check out the tanks from the AGA International Aquascaping Contest.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/?&op=sh....howcase

There are 4 years worth of results to view in several categories.

I see a few fish in there, Tetras maybe?

CD

Ivory montezumae swords. I hope they will become good display fish in time.

The twiggy wood is off center, but I'm assuming you are referring to the main parts you can see. Moving those farther left would hide them behind what I assume to be the focal point(A large stand of weird java fern).

Thanks! I will be sure to browse through all of those. Recognize some names already!

Spec: Think of it this way....before the montys arrived...here is a list of the inhabitants...shattered ranks of a tank setup I used to own, with future planted tank inhabitants mixed in(don't worry, its not that complicated0

2 BN plecos

3 bluefins

1 male feeder guppy.

1 female American flagfish(widowed herself on purpose I guess...found male dead with huge chunks ripped out of his side...this before the plecos were added).

I could go farther back to when the plecs werent there...but you arent interested...right?

So right now this tank looks pretty full to me! 13 fish total! lol

Any suggestions? Tanmk is at about 72-75 degrees. Dunno what kind of fish I want, but either something to add some splashes of color, something to add interest(may use H. formosa) or something for show if the montys don't beat it...
wink.gif

Hi Nflytrap,

I like the tank as it is but I guess I would add a patch of tall thin Italian or Crystal Val somewhere in the back area. I might also go for a red tiger lotus for color. If you had CO2 I'd say use Stellata (spelling). It is a gorgeous purple pink plant but needs CO2. Crypt spiralis in the back might be nice too. Crypt blassi makes a nice focus plant - large and red and green. I think when your stuff grows in it will look great. When the java moss gets going I'd tie some to the wood. I see the hygro and najas but not the thin leaf java fern. The curved hygro would send out straight stems so I'd save it and plant it to get some more going. I think the monties will be showy enough. Too many fish in a plant tank is a recipe for algae problems from the phosphate in the fish food and waste.

Bobby

Biggun: no Co2 for this sucker unless I try DIY(which I probably won't cause I don't want to risk gassing these guys).

The narrow leaved java fern is just floating in midwater. I may tie it to a branch that ends up just above the Windelov Java fern.

For the Tiger Lotus, do you think this tank has enough room? Unless I use just one in the back right, correct?

Is there any real difference as far as aquascaping goes between vals and C. spiralis? C. spiralis grows slower than the vals, correct?

There is java moss tied to the Ceramic log. Hope to get some attached to the wood soon.

What would you reccomend for a foreground? I was thinking of simply spreading out the piece you gave me and attaching it to some rocks. Perhaps use sag in between them.

I pulled out the curved one and today I noticed its bent in 2 and growing roots out of the middle! I guess I will cut it in
half and plant both pieces.

BTw, can you trim these guys to get a bushy look to them?

Thanks!

Hi Nflytrap,

Yes, you can trim the hygro back and it bushes. I like it tall and then bushy. The narrow leaf java fern will grow better attached. One red lotus will not be too big. I'd plant it off center in the center line of the tank. You can make it bush low by picking off the tall surface pad leaves. For front plants, I'd use true micro sag if you can find it -- it's like hair thin and 2" tall. I don't have it. Chain sword is nice. Green crypts are good. Java moss can get dirty that way. I'd tie it. Don't use microsword (liliopsis) -- it won't grow. Spiralis is great (although my pot just melted due to over rich nitrate) but Val is prettier. Bacopa is a nice plant but stem plants never look as good as they can -- except hygro types -- without CO2.

Bobby

How much space should I expect it to take up?

Whats the sci name for "Micro sag". i've heard of micro sword(Lilaeopsis?), but not this.

Also, would the monties like floaters? What would you suggest. I got soem uckweed mixed in with the utrics, and I picked most of it out and put it in the pond cause we all knwo what that stuff can do! I think there aer a few sprigs of riccia mixed in. My petstore sells riccia for 6.00 for a "Riccia cup". Would this stuff be a good choice?

Back