Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ivory montezumae update pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap,

I can throw in some daphnia and use a little bigger box than I was going to use but smaller than the last one :-). No problem. Cyclops if they are the real thing are a great older fry food -- very nutritious.

That's a nice liberty molly. Yeah, people think all wild mollies are now just released commercial ones. I can assure you the ditches I go to are full of wild latipinna. I've collected them for 35 years. There are so many molly species under the liberty or shenops molly label that one never knows what species one is dealing with. P. orri is the prettiest in that group or "super-species complex".

It looks like I will get the velifera and petenensis sailfin mollies in June. They will be juvies from 2 Central American wild caught tank raised populations. I can't wait. Wild velifera is a gorgeous fish -- nothing like what you see in shops.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

As a rule, try to keep at least 2 daphnia cultures going as daphnia are genetically programmed to bloom and bust. It's very hard to keep a steady level going. They need water changes and if food runs out they can crash just as overfeding can crash them. Green water is the easiest food. I use brewers yeast dissolved in water -- maybe a 1/4 tsp in a 25 gallon bucket. If you had pulex rather than magna then rising temps might have done them in. Pulex need cool weather. Big water changes are always good. Snails are good too. They like shade -- cooler. I try to keep many cultures going. I had 10 crash last week from overfeeding. Live food growing is harder than fish!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sure what the "real" cyclops are. They are smaller than daphnia, and swim in a jerky motion. The bigger ones have egg sacs hangin on them like in the books.

I think it could be temps. They did fine throughout Sept-april with literally no attention from me...I mean...the water was clear and all(sometimes the water would drop to 1/2 an inch and I could still harvest). This was a scud culture...and still is. But now there are blackworms. That didn't cause the daphnia demise though...worms were added a month ago.

Thanks! Mind telling me what kind of daphnia you're sending?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought this topic died lol, so I didnt check it. Could you save those fish for a while? Right now all I got is a 30 gallon stuffed full of convicts and an empty 125 gallon... oh, theres that one 3 gallon acrylic, too, but thats too small...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, mind lending me that 125...I could put it to good use! LOL

Not sure how much you are attached to convicts, but I'd imagine with peat filtration and soft water, that would make a good colony tank.

Any plants for the 125?

BTw, Biggun: Where the heck are your Velifera coming from? I've only seen them on aquabid once, much less a commercial site. Some kind of trade?
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Nflytrap and Spec,

Spec, the second group won't be ready for at least 2 months so that should give you time. All you need for a pair of fallax is a 10-20 (20 long is best) gallon tan,, a SECURE cover, one light, a sponge or ( my favorite) a jumbo Lustar corner filter -- see www.jehmco.com -- the best small and cheapest long lasting versatile filters on the market since the 1950's!, a small air pump, and a bunch of java fern, java moss, anubias, water sprite, najas, and/or hygrophilia, etc. That's it, no heater, no big power filter, no multiple lights, no fancy equipment. Killies are the cheap and gorgeous fish to keep. Put the convicts in the 125 and use the 30 for the fallax. They'll love it.

Daphnia might have crashed due to lack of food or a bump in the chemistry from the blackworms going in. There is a great article on raising blackworms on the Carolina Biological Supply webpage. My daphnia are magna. Pulex would die here except from Dec-Feb. Moina daphnia are another warm water species. Check Florida Aquacultures (I think). They have several daphnia species.

Those are cyclops -- a great great food but hard to harvest due to habits of swimming. Blackworms will be a great food.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beleive the site you were looking foir is sachs systems aquaculture....www.aquaculturestore.com

I always like to peek at there fish stock.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ May 22 2004,6:59)]Hi Nflytrap and Spec,

Spec, the second group won't be ready for at least 2 months so that should give you time. All you need for a pair of fallax is a 10-20 (20 long is best) gallon tan,, a SECURE cover, one light, a sponge or ( my favorite) a jumbo Lustar corner filter -- see www.jehmco.com -- the best small and cheapest long lasting versatile filters on the market since the 1950's!, a small air pump, and a bunch of java fern, java moss, anubias, water sprite, najas, and/or hygrophilia, etc. That's it, no heater, no big power filter, no multiple lights, no fancy equipment. Killies are the cheap and gorgeous fish to keep. Put the convicts in the 125 and use the 30 for the fallax. They'll love it.

Daphnia might have crashed due to lack of food or a bump in the chemistry from the blackworms going in. There is a great article on raising blackworms on the Carolina Biological Supply webpage. My daphnia are magna. Pulex would die here except from Dec-Feb. Moina daphnia are another warm water species. Check Florida Aquacultures (I think). They have several daphnia species.

Those are cyclops -- a great great food but hard to harvest due to habits of swimming. Blackworms will be a great food.

Bobby
    Ok [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Unfortunately, it would cost A LOT to heat the 125 gallon, so I'm not sure if I'll put them in there...

nflytrap, The tank is complately empty, except for some display junk [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] Send me the 1000 for shippin and I'll let you borrow it! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]

Yea, the 30 gallon isn't secure at all... Lots of places to jump out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] I guess I'll have to get a corner filter for them and a glass top...

How big does this kili get, anyways?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast