Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ivory montezumae update pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the male got more bold, I decided to try my hand at more pics. The lighting doesn't look like how it does in real life at all though. I would love to catch one of him in full display, but he moves like quicksilver when courting that female(who seems quite disgusted at it all). Not to mention the terrain he is in makes things harder...branches and all.

A very tight turn... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

He apparently used up all his fire before I managed to quickly focus and take one of him. Too bad I was in a hurry!

Experimenting with the exposure.

A branch cuts through what would have been a perfect shot!

Hope you like them!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pics! The female looks a little rounded. Well fed or early on pregnancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

The fish look great! Things will really get wild as the young males sex out. Let me know what sex ratio you get as I am afraid this population throws more males than females. Do you have a pond? If you do and it has water circulation you might want to put a pair outside if you get a good sex ratio from the young ones. They will be huge and gorgeous by Sept-Oct.

I have your food cultures started. I should be able to send this week.

I may have a killifish for your tank if you are interested. I have about 40 Fundulopanchax fallax fry growing up. Look under this species of the <killifish of west africa> site to see how gorgeous they are. They get to 5 inches and are quite impressive. They might eat most of the swordtail fry or moght not -- it's hard to tell with killies. They had their own fry growing up with them in the breeding tank. Killies can have bad sex ratios so I will have to wait a month or 2 to see how they sex out. If you like and I have extras you are welcome to a pair. They'd be real show stoppers. I am not sure if I will have both the orange and yellow forms as I have both but bred them as a colony so have no idea which fry are which. They are almost an inch long and 3 weeks old now.

The box arrived. Thanks!

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ May 08 2004,7:57)]Hi Nflytrap,

The fish look great! Things will really get wild as the young males sex out. Let me know what sex ratio you get as I am afraid this population throws more males than females. Do you have a pond? If you do and it has water circulation you might want to put a pair outside if you get a good sex ratio from the young ones. They will be huge and gorgeous by Sept-Oct.

I have your food cultures started. I should be able to send this week.

I may have a killifish for your tank if you are interested. I have about 40 Fundulopanchax fallax fry growing up. Look under this species of the <killifish of west africa> site to see how gorgeous they are. They get to 5 inches and are quite impressive. They might eat most of the swordtail fry or moght not -- it's hard to tell with killies. They had their own fry growing up with them in the breeding tank. Killies can have bad sex ratios so I will have to wait a month or 2 to see how they sex out. If you like and I have extras you are welcome to a pair. They'd be real show stoppers. I am not sure if I will have both the orange and yellow forms as I have both but bred them as a colony so have no idea which fry are which. They are almost an inch long and 3 weeks old now.

The box arrived. Thanks!

Bobby
    would you be willing to sell a pair or two of those killifish? would you be able to ship em?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggun: Are the orange and yellow forms a variation? Whatever they are, the pics look gorgeous! I'd be willing to wait and find out!

As far as the montys go, yes, I have 2 ponds, but they don't have very good circulation. My dad wants to buy a bigger filter for one of them(the big one) so perhaps they will end up in there. Catching them will be one difficult job though! The small pond has no filter, and usually ends up raising whatever fry I hatch that summer. It did a wonderful job raising A. lineatus juvies at record rate last year. I think they wer saleable size in less than 2 months! The ones inside lagged by half a body length, despite good feedings, so I put them outside and got repeated success. Must be all those dpahnia, cyclops, and whatnot that are busy brewing in there right now...
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi Spec and Nflytrap,

Spec, I'd be happy to send you a pair for shipping cost -- priority mail with the water for a pair would be around $15. All you'd need to do is return my box as shipping boxes are kind of expensive. I won't know for at least a month maybe 2 how they sex out. Like a said, killies can have real lopsided sex ratio and you can end up with like 2 of one sex and all the rest the other sex. Sometimes its nearly 50/50, so I just have to see. I have some promised to my killie friend in NY, then Nflytrap and then you (plus me for new breeders), so we'll see. I hope I get lucky and get like 15 or so pairs.

Nflytrap,
    Great news on the pond. That's a winner. I should have sent you the nezzie swords for the pond as they might just make the winter out there. I bet those lineatus grew fast. Killies of all types do great over the spring summer and early fall in ponds. They get so big and colorful.

Yes, fallax are gorgeous. My yellow male has the real long tail fin and the orange males have the intense color like the pics. They are wild caught. Yes, in the wild there are yellow and orange forms depending on the location in the Camerons. Fundulopanchax species are famous for yellow, blue and orange forms for the same species.

Fallax get to 5 inches and breed in peat moss that you then store damp for 3 months and then hatch the eggs. The fry grow fast on baby bs.

A friend just hatched a big batch of Brazilian fairy shrimp -- like big 1 and 1/2 inch freshwater brine shrimp. They lay their eggs in the peat moss too and you dry them for a while and then hatch them. I can't wait to get some and try them.

I'll keep you posted on the fallax as they grow. I'll have Nothobranchius kafuensis later this summer/early fall too but Nothos do best alone in quiet still tanks.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img] Thats an amazing fish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed on that one!

Never heard of raising fairy shrimp. Here in CA we keep hereing of conservationists efforts to save the fairy shrimp species here...and construction people trying to plow them over and get away with it.

If I ever stick any in the pond, i'll keep you updated. That would be an easy way to end up with a whole bunch to share!

Winter temps are about 40 degrees. Paradise fish can just pull through, and mosquitofish survive just fine.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula &#39;Red Dragon&#39;(barely)

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast