Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tank updated shots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still needs some stuff though. Big blank spots!

The whole tank. Dunno if keeping this tank on a really low fishload was good or not...as IMO this pic looks a bit crowded! At the current fishload, everyone gets about 3.5 gallons of water...

The left side. You can see the narrow leaf java fern...the Hygrophila corymbosa var. augustifolia, and the java moss(foreground...tied to rocks) that Biggun110 so generously gave to me.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Any suggestions would be great!
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wowee, that's a nice tank with lots of texture. Any chance you could add some colorful plants that would still go with the natural look? I'm a fish newbie myself, so I couldn't give you names, there's one cool-looking green plants that looks like it's missing everything but its veins, has lots of squarish holes in it.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks wickedthistle! This tank is still in its infancy, and there are a few blank spots I would like to fill with plants. Still don't have the layout finalized

The plant I think you mentioned is probably the madagascar lace leaf. Sci name is aponogeton madagascarensis. Beautiful plant, but according to information online they are quite difficult to keep alive...need high light and cool water.

However, there are many other kinds of aponogetons. While none have the lacy effect as much as madagascarensis...I think that the ruffled edges on crispus and some other species quite attractive. If you have a moderate sized tank and want some apogonetons, these would be the best bet.

For colorful plants, Im thinkin of something for the back right corner. I may use Echinodorus x. 'ozelot' (ozelot sword) or perhaps a Red Tiger Lotus. A red melon sword could also work.

Its possible that in front of my driftwood I could put some cryptocryne. C. wendtii red would probably work in the background as it gets a bit larger than either bronze or green wendtii. I may use all three...unless I run out of room!
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried various plants (looks like I have a apondus crispus myself) in the tank. I'd be careful of the c.wendtii red, mine did not even last a week! I need to post an updated picture of my tank since it's changed so much, but here you can see the apondus, a weird alfalfa-looking thing that eventually got eaten, and green val, banana plants, and nice reddish purple lilies that pondboy sent me.
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wickedthistle: did you toss the wendtii out? Chances are, it was/is still alive. Crypts are well known for "melting" when moved. Some call if "crypt disease" others say its simply a mechanism to deal with stress, and in the wild, getting washed away during the rainy season. If you are patient, have a rich substrate, and don't fuss with them they will grow back.

Wickedthistle: What are the specs for this tank? If possible, I'd reccomend switching to a finer substrate like sand(with flourite, laterite, or perhaps Eco-complete for the plants). That will allow you to plant them into the bottom of the tank...and will allow them to spread.

As for the plants, do you happen to know what kind of lily that is? Aquarists typically use either dwarf lilies or Red Tiger Lotus in there tanks. Even these can get quite large. If there is good light, they can easily shade out the whole tank.

As for the plants you don't have ID's on, you could always take clearer pics and post them here or at...

www.aquaticplantcentral.com

www.aquahobby.com

or any of the other msg boards.

Thanks!
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I make sure that plants are slimey and brown with no chance of recovery before I toss them.

Mine's a 15 gal tank. Since this picture I have added regular "tank gravel" from the store and taken out many of the large rocks. I also added two jars of sand for my darling corys to sleep in at night (though my guppy also does this for some reason).

I'm not sure what kind of lily it is, but it does stay small and is currently in dormancy. I'm not too worried about the ids, I sorta figured out what they were before and am sure they are good plants for my tank. I still have the occasional fish die off, so I'm waiting to get the hang of things before I introduce any new plants. For fish, I think I'll be adding a few more guppies next, and maybe a few tetras.

Thanks for the web links. They're great sites, I'm going to check them out later (after my @%@ thesis!)
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nflytrap,

I vote for red tiger lotus. If you get CO2 there is a long leaf reddish hygro type plant that is great or stellata is spectacular. Both need CO2 to do well. Red Mellons are easier than Ozelots as Ozelots get too big and develop almost floating leaves the stems are so long. Red mellons need sunlight to get deep purple leaves.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This tank doesn't receive much sunlight...just a little from a window next to it.

I have 2 really small N. stellata plants right now. Dunno if they are pretty enough to go there. May use either Red melon or Red tiger lotus(probably Red tiger lotus).
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast