What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon fish

• Thread starter DizzyLizzy
  • Start date
I got a dragon fish (also called a violet goby) about two months ago. He came with a sheet of basic information, and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.
Thanks,
Meg

Yes I have! I use to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and we brought them in, assuming it is the same fish. Long, slender, brown, skeleton-like? Maybe ~6-10"? Never actually saw them eat. I imagine they will eat live shrimp or tubifex worms. Can you show me a picture? Gee, haven't seen your mom on the forums in awhile. Looks like you've got control of the keyboard!
smile.gif

yup..fits that description. Looks like something you would find in a haunted house. They will eat the foods you suggested...and grow pretty big. Do a google on dragonfish(then find the sci name...should start with goboides) and google again. You'll get plenty of info. Second step is to eliminate arrowana sites.

Yup guys, that's it exactly. I never thought to try live shrimp. I tried the frozen stuff but it never seemed to amount to much. I'll try to get a pic of him as soon as I can, he's pretty shy and when I can get him out to the front of the tank the lighting's never right. & thank's Nflyrap, I'll do a search and see what I can find now.
Jimscott, yeah, mom's not very sure of herself when it comes to pc's, and lately she's been kinda neurotic (I believe that's the word that she uses) and she knows this is one of Steve's favorite sites, so she tries not to pester him here. She figures it's the one place he should be able to escape from her at. (LOL).
Later & thanks,
Meg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ June 12 2004,3:58)]Yes I have! I use to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and we brought them in, assuming it is the same fish. Long, slender, brown, skeleton-like? Maybe ~6-10"? Never actually saw them eat. I imagine they will eat live shrimp or tubifex worms. Can you show me a picture? Gee, haven't seen your mom on the forums in awhile. Looks like you've got control of the keyboard!  
smile.gif
you mean big carnivore kid? actually I think "shes" male
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DizzyLizzy @ June 12 2004,11:29)]Yup guys, that's it exactly. I never thought to try live shrimp. I tried the frozen stuff but it never seemed to amount to much. I'll try to get a pic of him as soon as I can, he's pretty shy and when I can get him out to the front of the tank the lighting's never right. & thank's Nflyrap, I'll do a search and see what I can find now.
Jimscott, yeah, mom's not very sure of herself when it comes to pc's, and lately she's been kinda neurotic (I believe that's the word that she uses) and she knows this is one of Steve's favorite sites, so she tries not to pester him here. She figures it's the one place he should be able to escape from her at. (LOL).
Later & thanks,
Meg
Interesting dynamics to this sibling rivalry thing.

More of a sibling revelry
smile_n_32.gif

dragon_fish.jpg

Here is a picture I found by doing a search. The site also says they eat ghost shrimp, which are cheap and easy to purchase.

My dad says that I can't feed the dragon fish his ghost shrimp.
smile_h_32.gif
He's only had the silly thing since december, there can't be that much of connection between them. (please note heavy use of sarcasm).
Steve, mom agrees with the revelry thing, except she thinks that indicates haveing a lot more fun and wants to know why she got left out of the loop,
smile_k_ani_32.gif
. And she says your responsible adult disguise isn't that good. LOL.
Meg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DizzyLizzy @ June 14 2004,8:18)].............And she says your responsible adult disguise isn't that good. LOL.
Meg
Aw, gee.  And I worked so hard on it.  
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_s_32.gif

Steve, Mom says her disguise is the sweet little sister.
Meg:p

smile_k_ani_32.gif

laugh.gif

Edit: That is one ugly fish!

Why thank you, Steve! The deeoer and colder the environs - the uglier they get.

Aww Steve, he's a cool fish, I bet you'ld like him if you saw him in person. And when they eat they just kinda suck food into they're mouth. That threw me off because he has suck a viscious looking mouth.

Meg, what other (interesting) fish do you have? have you tried Hong Kong Eels or Rope Fish or Caecilian Eel or...?

The only other fish I have right now are a pleco and a rainbow shark. Once I get my own place I'm looking to get a few more fish, preferably some interesting ones.
biggrin.gif

Meg

I can fill you in on some "interesting" fish. Great for conversation!

That would be great! I would love to get some information on some more 'interesting' fish. That would be too cool.
Thanks,
Meg

I'll get back to you on that. But for openers, there are Archer Fish, Lung fish, Butterfly fish.... can I interest you in saltwater critters?

I've seen butterfly fish, they are pretty cool to watch. & I'd love some info on salt water fish, eventually i'd like to start a salt water tank, but that's a little ways down the road. I'll check out the other two you listed, they sound interesting!
Thanks,
Meg

Back